Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
ENGLErnieBallGraphTechBKP
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Schecter C-8, or Ibanez RGA8? Screw ESP, Agile or anything else, what are your opinions of these two if you had a choice of one or the other? They're both mahogany, gorgeous, and I can't decide between them!!

Whichever it ends up being, I'll be shoehorning in EMG 808x's, and GraphTech piezo's. Then, I shall be happy :)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I had the RGA8 and it's a very well put together guitar. The mid switch is absolutely awful though, and the stock pickups are beyond terrible, but it sounds like that's a non-issue for you.

You'll still have somewhat loose low end on that scale if you do tune to F# though.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Schecter C-8, or Ibanez RGA8? Screw ESP, Agile or anything else, what are your opinions of these two if you had a choice of one or the other? They're both mahogany, gorgeous, and I can't decide between them!!

Whichever it ends up being, I'll be shoehorning in EMG 808x's, and GraphTech piezo's. Then, I shall be happy :)
If you can live without the piezos (hardly worth the expense, IMO) then you'd be much better upgrading to the RGA2228. I loved mine.

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the RGA8 and it's a very well put together guitar. The mid switch is absolutely awful though, and the stock pickups are beyond terrible, but it sounds like that's a non-issue for you.

You'll still have somewhat loose low end on that scale if you do tune to F# though.
Ah really ... is that due to the scale length being too short, or the stock setup? On a 7, my string gauges go from 10-60, so I may put a 70 on if that's the case. Having said that the Schecter F# is setup for a 74 ....

I have heard countless people complain about the mid scoop switch, so it sounds like something else I'd ditch. Likelihood is that I'd replace it with a Pi2 phase inverter, like I did on my 7.

Any chance you tried an RG2228 in comparison with the RGA8 at all Chris? I can't quite get my head round the price difference.

Oh and thanks for the info :)

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can live without the piezos (hardly worth the expense, IMO) then you'd be much better upgrading to the RGA2228. I loved mine.
Ah funny you should say that. Why is the RG2228 considered a better Guitar out of the two, just out of interest? I always thought mahogany was better than basswood, and aside from the body shape, I can't really tell why one's a double priced prestige from the other :-/

I would go full Shotgunn mod's for midi if I could afford it! lol But Piezo's, I kinda got my heart set on. Sure, they're no substitute for an Acousticaster, or a proper acoustic, but the jangle on cleans would make for a great live tone. Plus again, Shotgunn Mod's YouTube vid of the fitted Piezo's on an RG2228 sounded awesome to me :)

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Ah really ... is that due to the scale length being too short, or the stock setup? On a 7, my string gauges go from 10-60, so I may put a 70 on if that's the case. Having said that the Schecter F# is setup for a 74 ....

I have heard countless people complain about the mid scoop switch, so it sounds like something else I'd ditch. Likelihood is that I'd replace it with a Pi2 phase inverter, like I did on my 7.

Any chance you tried an RG2228 in comparison with the RGA8 at all Chris? I can't quite get my head round the price difference.

The RGA7 is actually well put together for what it is, which is a cheap introduction into eight strings. For such a new market, obviously an equivalent priced six or seven string is much better as they don't have to deal with massive tooling costs.

My overriding problem with the RGA7 was that it felt a bit too light and a bit too toy-like for my taste. My RG2228 rattled my chair unplugged it was so resonant, which the RGA8 never did.

The RGA8 is a good guitar, but for the money you're talking of spending, you'll be polishing a turd. Grab the 2228. Second hand, cheap. :D

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Ah funny you should say that. Why is the RG2228 considered a better Guitar out of the two, just out of interest? I always thought mahogany was better than basswood, and aside from the body shape, I can't really tell why one's a double priced prestige from the other :-/

I would go full Shotgunn mod's for midi if I could afford it! lol But Piezo's, I kinda got my heart set on. Sure, they're no substitute for an Acousticaster, or a proper acoustic, but the jangle on cleans would make for a great live tone. Plus again, Shotgunn Mod's YouTube vid of the fitted Piezo's on an RG2228 sounded awesome to me :)
Two words:

The neck.

As for tunings and stuff, 27" just isn't long enough to really get the low F# to growl properly, IMO, but I tune up so I'd have no problem with it now. Cleans sound amazing, too.

Piezos...meh. Do you have them on any of your other guitars? I found the novelty got old quick.

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The RGA7 is actually well put together for what it is, which is a cheap introduction into eight strings. For such a new market, obviously an equivalent priced six or seven string is much better as they don't have to deal with massive tooling costs.

My overriding problem with the RGA7 was that it felt a bit too light and a bit too toy-like for my taste. My RG2228 rattled my chair unplugged it was so resonant, which the RGA8 never did.

The RGA8 is a good guitar, but for the money you're talking of spending, you'll be polishing a turd. Grab the 2228. Second hand, cheap. :D
Ah, cheers. Fascinating insight there. Shame I can't have a go at the two.

When I rang Ibanez a few weeks back to discuss endorsements, they offered to throw RGA8's our way, and I was really keen since I had my eye on them anyway, but I'd also been looking at the Schecters, being a Schecter fan too, and I kinda feel like I'm banging two chicks, and am being forced to choose one or the other lol.

Sorry for the bad analogy :-/

·
Read Only
10 Posts

I owned an RG2228 too, actually. It was a fantastic guitar, but again the scale length killed it for me.

I didn't think it was that much nicer than the RG8A in terms of build quality, but I liked the 2228 a shitload more because it was usable out of the box. The pickups in the RGA are so bad, I honestly didn't play it for more than an hour between when I got it and when I sold it. I bought a set of Lundgrens for it, but ended up not putting them in because of the scale again.

Both are nice, the 2228 has better stats, but if you put pickups in the RGA and got rid of the ridiculous mid scoop switch, I'd say they're on par as far as playability and tone. The RGA is really a nice guitar, just a shame about the inexcusably terrible, terrible, terrible pickups.

Edit: Obviously Stitch disagrees, but IMO, having owned a bajillion Ibanez's, the RGA felt on par quality wise with a 7620-ish model all day long. FNF on the 2228 is definitely better, but it's also more expensive.

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two words:

The neck.

As for tunings and stuff, 27" just isn't long enough to really get the low F# to growl properly, IMO, but I tune up so I'd have no problem with it now. Cleans sound amazing, too.

Piezos...meh. Do you have them on any of your other guitars? I found the novelty got old quick.
I guess I can understand that. I was like that with the Fernandes sustainer. But I haven't had them yet. I'd been eyeballing the RG2027XL's for years now, hoping one would come up (and now has) only to have a new longing to replace my 7's with 8's. When I picked up a 7, I never went back to 6's, so I know it'll be the same again with 8's.

If 27" scale length is insufficient, then the Schecter would be out too, as they are at 26.5". What does that leave me with then? Custom shops are way wayyy out of my budget right now sadly, but if I did have the cash, I'd throw everything at it.

Interestingly enough, I once had a Les Paul baritone, tuned B standard, with a 28" scale length. THAT Guitar was serious resonance, and an incredible tone. I miss it a lot, but aside from acoustics, I just don't touch 6's anymore.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Ah, cheers. Fascinating insight there. Shame I can't have a go at the two.

When I rang Ibanez a few weeks back to discuss endorsements, they offered to throw RGA8's our way, and I was really keen since I had my eye on them anyway, but I'd also been looking at the Schecters, being a Schecter fan too, and I kinda feel like I'm banging two chicks, and am being forced to choose one or the other lol.

Sorry for the bad analogy :-/
Ah, awesome man! You spoke to Headstock, is Allan still the endorsee relations guy there? Good guys.

Shame you're in Kent, we always had both at guitar guitar, you coulda tried them out!

I owned an RG2228 too, actually. It was a fantastic guitar, but again the scale length killed it for me.

I didn't think it was that much nicer than the RG8A in terms of build quality, but I liked the 2228 a shitload more because it was usable out of the box. The pickups in the RGA are so bad, I honestly didn't play it for more than an hour between when I got it and when I sold it. I bought a set of Lundgrens for it, but ended up not putting them in because of the scale again.

Both are nice, the 2228 has better stats, but if you put pickups in the RGA and got rid of the ridiculous mid scoop switch, I'd say they're on par as far as playability and tone. The RGA is really a nice guitar, just a shame about the inexcusably terrible, terrible, terrible pickups.
You must've got a good one then, because the one I played was untenably shit. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Agreed. If I played live in a band that had acoustic/clean parts, I'd probably use them a lot more though since I reckon they're a very passable alternative to switching to an actual acoustic. As it is though, I rarely use them on my 2027.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I guess I can understand that. I was like that with the Fernandes sustainer. But I haven't had them yet. I'd been eyeballing the RG2027XL's for years now, hoping one would come up (and now has) only to have a new longing to replace my 7's with 8's. When I picked up a 7, I never went back to 6's, so I know it'll be the same again with 8's.

If 27" scale length is insufficient, then the Schecter would be out too, as they are at 26.5". What does that leave me with then? Custom shops are way wayyy out of my budget right now sadly, but if I did have the cash, I'd throw everything at it.

Interestingly enough, I once had a Les Paul baritone, tuned B standard, with a 28" scale length. THAT Guitar was serious resonance, and an incredible tone. I miss it a lot, but aside from acoustics, I just don't touch 6's anymore.
A 2027XL? :scratch: I think you're cross breeding the RG2027X which was piezo equipped and RG2077XL which was a 27" baritone for the european 'away' market (not sold here, originally).

I've certainly never heard of a baritone piezo-equipped Ibanez seven. :lol:

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Edit: Obviously Stitch disagrees, but IMO, having owned a bajillion Ibanez's, the RGA felt on par quality wise with a 7620-ish model all day long. FNF on the 2228 is definitely better, but it's also more expensive.
So would you say then that the only reason you preferred the RG2228 was it's "off the shelf" usability overall? Someone once told me that it's a given with any Ibanez that you'd never stick with the stock pickups, and they're more of a placeholder for something better. If that's true, I guess it wouldn't matter what Ibanez put in the RGA8, knowing they'd get binned anyway lol

See, my RG7-CSD is Basswood like the 2228 is, and if my 7 is anything to go by, .... then I hate Basswood with a passion. It sounds dead and lifeless, and has no sustain whatsoever. All my Schecters are Mahogany, and their sustain lasts until the feedback kicks in at the same pitch, creating a natural fernandes sustainer. Plus the tone is full and dynamic. I'm sure there's WAY more to it than just wood, but it put me off. Certainly opened my eyes to see the expensive prestige model with Basswood, and the cheaper model with Mahogany. Couldn't get my head around that at all!

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah, awesome man! You spoke to Headstock, is Allan still the endorsee relations guy there? Good guys.

:lol:
Chris Taylor now, I believe. Also a nice guy :)

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shame you're in Kent, we always had both at guitar guitar, you coulda tried them out! :lol:
Whereabouts are you then mate?

:EDIT: I can see for myself now - Glasgow, doh lol

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed. If I played live in a band that had acoustic/clean parts, I'd probably use them a lot more though since I reckon they're a very passable alternative to switching to an actual acoustic. As it is though, I rarely use them on my 2027.
Damn man, I thought that was one of the main attractions of that Guitar lol

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A 2027XL? :scratch: I think you're cross breeding the RG2027X which was piezo equipped and RG2077XL which was a 27" baritone for the european 'away' market (not sold here, originally).

I've certainly never heard of a baritone piezo-equipped Ibanez seven. :lol:
You're quite right, I got the models mixed up lol

·
Read Only
10 Posts
So would you say then that the only reason you preferred the RG2228 was it's "off the shelf" usability overall? Someone once told me that it's a given with any Ibanez that you'd never stick with the stock pickups, and they're more of a placeholder for something better. If that's true, I guess it wouldn't matter what Ibanez put in the RGA8, knowing they'd get binned anyway lol
Hard to say, really. I've heard more than one person say that the RGA8 is low quality, and I've only seen the one that I had for a time and I thought it was a pretty clean, well put together guitar. On the flipside, I've played a few different 2228's and the general consensus is that they're pretty much guaranteed to be good out of the box.

I love me some Basswood, but even with the decent actives in the 2228 I have a hard time really hearing wood differences with active pickups in general. The 2228 was a little fuller sounding, but I can't really compare it to the RGA because again, I really can't say enough things that are synonymous with "horrible awful piles of absolute shit" to describe the pickups in the RGA. It's like Ibanez did it as a cruel joke, and then took it one step further and added that absurd mid-scoop switch because it would be sonically impossible to make them suck any more on their own.

Playability wise though, I found them pretty similar, and I actually preferred the neck on the RGA to the 2228, though I couldn't tell you why offhand. Longer scale and pickups that weren't terrible and I would have kept it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.