Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanked on one for 90 minutes at a GC at could barely get comfortable on it. My fingers kept sticking and notes were hard to snag.

Was it because the rosewood was drier than a proper martini, or because of the TOM bridge and I'm just used to flat-profile bridges now? I am perfectly at home on my Gibson, so I figured it would translate well.

Also, why did the 24th fret on the high E string have this horrendous pulsating sound to it, like there was some false harmonic ringing out sympathetically?

I don't blame the scale length or the neck, though it had a bit of a twist in it. Fret finishing seemed alright too. This guitar just fucking blew, and I was hoping it would make an alright backup with passives thrown in it. :noway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I've played a couple really nice ones, and a couple not-so-nice ones. The stock strings blow chunks though. I prefer TOMs to flatmount, but you might be the other way around.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, why did the 24th fret on the high E string have this horrendous pulsating sound to it, like there was some false harmonic ringing out sympathetically?
Eric thinks this could have been a resonance phenomenon with a shit piece of wood, or perhaps something in the bridge was creating another harmonic node?

I notice this when I play my Gibson - some notes give a funny ringing that's close in pitch to the fretted note but just enough out to chorus or warble the sound a bit. Usually it's most noticeable when played unplugged. But through a Mesa Single Rec and the 707s, this ringing was god-awful and sounded like the pickup was about to explode. :nuts:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine doesn't have any of those problems, its a good guitar. i do prefer TOMs also
I'd love to play a good one, perhaps something was wrong with that piece, because I cut my teeth on TOMs. Love my Les Paul. The Hipshot flatmount fixed bridge is really quite awesome, but I feel at home on either setup generally.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
That's called wolf tones. All the Schecters I've played seem to have easily make them as well as an old Ibby RG320 I used to own. Moving the pickups away from the strings can make it quieter.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's called wolf tones. All the Schecters I've played seem to have easily make them as well as an old Ibby RG320 I used to own. Moving the pickups away from the strings can make it quieter.
This?

Glossary: Wolf Tone | Sweetwater.com

I was actually roughly tuned to Eb, but I didn't check any of the other Eb4 notes. Would it happen at all of them, or can it only be at one fretted position on one string? It was horrendous, not something that can be lived with, and I noticed it somewhere on the upper frets of a Hellraiser I played a few weeks back.

Also, the pickups were EMGs so they were really high, but I thought that was ok because they have weak magnets?

Nevermore has increased my desire to like Schecters but I'm striking out. I have to find a Loomis to play.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I really want a Schecter Loomis TOM!

But yeah (in reference to that link), the higher you go on the frets, the faster the "warbling."

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't get me wrong, I really want a Schecter Loomis TOM!

But yeah (in reference to that link), the higher you go on the frets, the faster the "warbling."
But see, there was NOTHING until I hit that high Eb. Then it went straight to fucking hell. It was like the EMG retaliated and said, "DOES NOT COMPUTE." :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Who the fuck plays anything using the 24th fret on E anyway? :lol:
I actually do a full step bend there on two solos. In Bm, that is a bend to the fifth. Before playing sevenths, I never touched it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I always loved how he stops to tune the violin. :lol:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
man, wtf hahahahah My brain and my fingers aren't in sync as much as I'd like them to be :lol:

Maybe you didn't notice the wolf tone till you played the high Eb?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
man, wtf hahahahah My brain and my fingers aren't in sync as much as I'd like them to be :lol:

Maybe you didn't notice the wolf tone till you played the high Eb?
Maybe, but it was a night and day difference. Like I said, on my Les Paul, it seems like you can hear it acoustically, but plugged in it's not obvious at all, and rarely if at all audible in any way. This was almost binary - I had no problems anywhere until I hit that top fret.

Which made me suspicious that something in the string path was causing it, at the bridge etc. Dunno. I was just sorely disappointed and wonder how much that guitar could be fixed with a killer setup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts