Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been hearing a lot of praise for Schecter's guitar range; from what I've heard, their not only really good quality but they also aren't too pricey either.

I don't know much about them myself; but I've seen around in guitar shops quite frequently in the past 2 years due to endorsements by the guitarists from Avenged Sevenfold.

So I just wondered; are they actually any good? Do they live up to their reputation? Give me your thoughts. :)

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
No. Particularly in the UK, where they aren't as cheap relative to other brands like they are in America. They cost too much for guitars that simply don't sound good.

But I've played one Schecter I actually liked in the last six years, and it was the Hellcat VI. :shrug:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
I've owned a few Schecters, C7, Hellraiser 7, and currently a Schecter PT Goldtop, and every one of them were very nice guitars, especially for the price. I have to say I think my PT is the best of the ones i've owned. The neck is amazing, and its got a bit of a flame in it too..almost looks birdseye.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Schecter are good bang for the buck around here, and every year they seem to be improving their lineup with better stuff for less dough. I'm more than happy with both my Avenger 7 and Damien Elite 7-FR.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I had a Schecter Hellraiser too, and it sounded and played great, but I just couldn't get along with it. I didn't like the neck and it just didn't feel right to me, but I think that is because I am an Ibby guy through and through.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I own a Hellraiser C8 and a Blackjack ATX C8. Both are wonderful guitars. The fretboards aren't as flat as an Ibanez so that might take a little bit of time to get use to if you're into that sort of thing. As with most guitars, if you don't get it set up properly it probably won't float your boat. They are a quality guitar with a longer list of features than most companies for the price point. I would recommend them as long as you can try one before you buy it.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Schecter's growing popularity REALLY predates A7x. :lol:

Depends who you ask. Stitchy-poo hates them, I think they're pretty good bang for the buck (though, see his comment on exchange rates). Schecter was the company that really convinced me Korean quality had seriously come around, and in particular their fretwork seems to be a bit above that of the typical Korean non-Schecter. They all bear "set up in the USA" stickers and I suspect they do a bit of fret touchup here, but I don't know that for a fact.

Mind you, this is all with regards to the Diamond Series, not the USA custom shop. Those are AWESOME - it's worth noting Tom Anderson got his start in Schecter's US Custom Shop, before he went solo.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I know the exchange rates aren't the same in the UK, but the fit and finish on the Schecters I've had was phenominal. My Loomis and last Hellraiser had better fretwork than my MIJ Ibby Universe green dots.

Also, dont know if it applies in the UK, but Schecter's USA Customer service is EXCEPTIONAL here. I've had to deal with them twice, and both times, they bent over backwards to help me.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I know the exchange rates aren't the same in the UK, but the fit and finish on the Schecters I've had was phenominal. My Loomis and last Hellraiser had better fretwork than my MIJ Ibby Universe green dots.
Really? All three Loomis's I've played were awful. Maybe you get an extra setup before sale?

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
I think my 007 Elite sounds good and plays well. :shrug: As previously mentioned, the neck radius is a bit thicker than most Ibanez models, but I think they're easy enough to get used to.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I think my 007 Elite sounds good and plays well. :shrug: As previously mentioned, the neck radius is a bit thicker than most Ibanez models, but I think they're easy enough to get used to.
The radius on them is 14", a little less flat than the Universe models, for comparison. The actual neck itself is generally thicker, but i think they have a great profile.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
The radius on them is 14", a little less flat than the Universe models, for comparison. The actual neck itself is generally thicker, but i think they have a great profile.
the neck is definitely ROUND. My ATX 7-string was pretty nice aside from the fact that it was ginormous (like seriously was like a les paul).

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
That's the one :yesway: The neck is generally thicker, that's what I meant :)

·
Hasta la vista, Baby
384 Posts
I fucking love my Schecter Loomis. The neck has some heft to it but it's very comfortable, and it plays great.

·
El' Lamo
5 Posts
Really? All three Loomis's I've played were awful. Maybe you get an extra setup before sale?
That's weird man. I own a Loomis and it is one of the best production model 7's out there IMO. Never had a problem with it and other people I know that own a couple loomis's rave all the time about it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Great "bang for the buck." Hell, they can be entirely pro axes. My C-4 Elite is an absolutely staggering bass, and fretwork, fit and finish, and available options are all excellent.

They also do some great niche instruments like the Hellcat VI and 8-string basses.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts