Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have just got a Schecter Omen 8 and am wanting to replace the strings when I receive it. Now as you guys probably know already is that the guitar is 26.5" so this is a consideration when picking strings. Now I am going to be playing After the Burial, Monuments and some other heavy stuff so would you recommend 12-60, 11-56, 10-52 or something else??
I am pretty new to all this so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! ;)

Tom

· Premium Member
1,079 Posts
I play one of the old hellraisers that has the same scale length, and I string it with the d'addario 10-59 set + an 80 for the lowest string. I'd probably start with that and play with it from there. 12's will be really heavy.

· Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Wouldn't recommend the set. The tension isn't matched very well across the strings on those sets, so they feel kind of odd to play. If you bought the guitar new, it will probably come from the factory strung with that exact set (it may be an Ernie Ball set, but I think the gauges are the same), so at least you'll get a feel for them.

Yep, the 10-59 is a 7 string set, and you'll have to buy the 80 separate. The d'addario 80's have gotten way more expensive lately, though. I think I paid around 4 bucks for one last time I changed strings. :lol: Might be worth looking into a slightly lighter gauge for your lowest string. It'll sound a bit snappier and be a bit cheaper, but it'll feel much more loose than the other strings. Worth playing around with.

Edit: Oops, looks like RGhoarder got to it before I did. That set looks pretty good.

Umm..yeah, if I get the Ernie Ball set you linked and the D'Adarrio one I could make a set for 10-80, Does that sound right?

Tom
Probably not worth mixing two sets. I think they're each around $10.

· Banned
1,562 Posts
You could check out Stringjoy as well. I've been liking them lots. Might not be your best bet being in the UK but they make a fantastic product, might be worth the couple of extra days waiting.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Wouldn't recommend the set. The tension isn't matched very well across the strings on those sets, so they feel kind of odd to play. If you bought the guitar new, it will probably come from the factory strung with that exact set (it may be an Ernie Ball set, but I think the gauges are the same), so at least you'll get a feel for them.

Yep, the 10-59 is a 7 string set, and you'll have to buy the 80 separate. The d'addario 80's have gotten way more expensive lately, though. I think I paid around 4 bucks for one last time I changed strings. :lol: Might be worth looking into a slightly lighter gauge for your lowest string. It'll sound a bit snappier and be a bit cheaper, but it'll feel much more loose than the other strings. Worth playing around with.

Edit: Oops, looks like RGhoarder got to it before I did. That set looks pretty good.

Probably not worth mixing two sets. I think they're each around $10.
£6.00 for the D'Adarrio set and £11.99 for the Ernie Ball set, I can't find a single 80 string anywhere so may just get both sets but then would it make a massive difference just using the Ernie Ball pack and having the 9 instead of the 10?

Tom

· Premium Member
1,079 Posts
£6.00 for the D'Adarrio set and £11.99 for the Ernie Ball set, I can't find a single 80 string anywhere so may just get both sets but then would it make a massive difference just using the Ernie Ball pack and having the 9 instead of the 10?

Tom
Interesting. I usually get my 80s off of Amazon or Juststrings. But yeah, at that point I would probably just go with the the EB set.

You could check out Stringjoy as well. I've been liking them lots. Might not be your best bet being in the UK but they make a fantastic product, might be worth the couple of extra days waiting.
Those look super cool.

· Registered
104 Posts
The majority of string gauge packs are completely mismatched. They only really work right if you've got a multi-scale which obviously wasn't their intended purpose. The low string gauges are usually just pulled out of a hat.

Your best bet is to mix and match a couple of packets seeing what you like, decide if you like balanced tension on all strings or progressive balanced tension(which is where you slowly increase the tension), then use a tension calculator to fine tune certain strings.

· Señor Member
12,342 Posts
Cheers guys for all your help, I am leaning towards going for the
10-13-17-26-36-46-59-80 setup.
I believe I have found an individual string now for the 0.080, is it a bass guitar string by any chance?

Tom
I'm sure you've already gotten your answer to this question but the 8 string .080 gauge strings Ernie ball is selling are for guitar (as in, not double wound, like a bass string).

· Registered
1 Posts
Cheers guys for all your help, I am leaning towards going for the
10-13-17-26-36-46-59-80 setup.
I believe I have found an individual string now for the 0.080, is it a bass guitar string by any chance?

Tom
I personally wouldn't put a .080 on the omen. The fret board is short and causes unneeded stress on the neck. I would recommend the dunlop 09/65 8 string set if the neck was longer I would go with the .80 but the omen is a short neck 8 string. From personal experience the .80 felt awkward on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts