Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I'm getting a new guitar, my budget is around $400-$450. can't decide on which brand to get I really like Ibanez but those Schecters look sweet so just curious about opinions. I have a few models in mind but nothing really sticking out.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
:welcome: Do a search this is a heavily covered subject. The biggest things you will find is neck thickness. Also bolt on vs set neck/neck thru or whatever Schecter uses.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Play them and find out. There is a running argument on other forums about which one is "better" but it all boils down to personal preference.

I personally prefer Schecters, but I own an Ibanez too.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Yeah, without some idea what you're looking for, it's almost impossible to give you some guidance here.

It's like, "apple or lime?" If you asked me which one I wanted to eat, it'd be apple every time, but an apple makes a pretty shitty garnish in a gin and tonic, you know?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Personally, I like Ibanez. Sometimes, though, I like Schecter. For this one project I'm working on, I tend to reach for my Schecter. However, after I've had my way with your mom, I find that I really jones for the Ibanez.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Personally, I like Ibanez. Sometimes, though, I like Schecter. For this one project I'm working on, I tend to reach for my Schecter. However, after I've had my way with your mom, I find that I really jones for the Ibanez.
That usually puts me in an Ibanez mood too.

OP: Need more insight into what you're looking for, as others have said. ;)

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Google gives 17.8 million hits for Ibanez, 11.9 million hits for Schecter. Ibanez is the clear winner.

Seriously though, we need to know more about what you're looking for in a guitar. Schecter's tend to have thicker necks, as has been said, and are typically neck-through construction. Ibanezes have thinner necks and are typically bolt-on. With that budget I'd buy an Ibanez RG321MH and Dimarzio pickups for it, but that's just me.

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
The schecters look best IMO. Ive never played one though:p
Have you considered LTD? I find them really good for their price..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well thank you all for your input I am probably gonna go with the schecter but want to play an ibanez first, I found both brands at a local music store here so I'm gonna test em out see which fits me better. great feedback thanks for your help.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i like the higher end schecter's better than indonesian ibanez's in a similar price range. and the MIJ 'prestige' ibanez's are simply ridiculously overpriced, imo.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Schecters are really pretty and they're made with some great woods, but for me I'm usually going to go with Ibanez 9 times out of 10 over a Schecter.

The biggest difference for me is the back of the neck. It's more pronounced on the 7-string guitars than the 6-string models, but the Schecter guitars have this big C shape curve to the back of the neck, while the Ibanez guitars have thinner flatter necks with more of a D shape to the neck. As a result, my thumb fits better behind an Ibanez neck, I'm more comfortable that way, and the thinner Ibanez necks really play a lot better than the Schecters.

Having said that, most Schecters I've played are mahogany guitars, while a lot of Ibanez guitars are either basswood, or 5-piece mahogany, which while decent does not stand up to a 3 or 2 piece mahogany body in a side-by-side comparison. The best sounding guitar I've ever played or owned is a 2-piece mahogany guitar. It's also an Ibanez which defeats my entire point ( :lol: ) but it's an older S-series model they don't make anymore, so I'm keeping it :agreed:

Most Ibanez guitars, at least the under $1000 crowd, also come with crap for pickups, while the Schecters come with EMGs. Winner Schecter, by far. However, throw some Duncans in the Ibanez and they'll scream with the best of them.

All-in-all for the money you can't beat Schecters for the sound, and you can't beat Ibanez for playability, for the price they go for. The Agiles I hear are pretty sweet too but the only Agile I've played was a Les Paul copy and not a true super strat, so I don't have any kind of solid opinion on those. The specs on the Agiles look outstanding though.

If you have more money to blow, maybe a KxK guitar or a Charvel maybe? They're both outstanding guitar manufacturers, but they can be a bit pricier. Dave would be a better source of info for those if that's the avenue you're eventually looking down.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I feel pretty much the same as Vince.

I own four Ibanezes and no Schecters, but I do have a Gibson Les Paul, which has a neck profile that is closer to a Schecter than an Ibanez (by far). The other guitarist in my band played a Schecter Hellraiser and it's a beautiful guitar, sounds great, and is very playable.

Personally, however, I think that Ibanezes are a lot more playable than Schecters, mainly due to their very thin sleek necks.

Soundwise, I think they both sound great, but like Vince said, Ibanezes under $1000 generally come with very crappy original pickups (although surprisingly some of the best sounding bands I know have recorded their albums with those exact same Ibanez stock pickups) while Schecters usually have EMGs, which are guaranteed to sound good.

Like pretty much every single person in this thread has said, it comes down to personal taste.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts