Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
ENGLErnieBallGraphTechBKP
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really glad they put some time and effort into their site, as 2010's site was horrible to navigate. The new one is looking sleek, fast loading and really easy to navigate, via an intuitive selection system. On top of that, there's some really tasty new Guitars coming out, and once again Schecter embrace us 8 Stringers :D

I badly want me one of these!!!

In case that link didn't work due to gay web coding, here's a link to the page.

They've also added a Custom Shop template and order form, with instant price quote, which is handy, although crazy expensive (my quote came back at $10,000!!)

www.schecterguitars.com

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think what I like best about that Riot 8 is that it's a Guitar in it's own right, and not a 6 string model that's been stretched inproportionately to be an 8. It looks great, well balanced visually, and has a great satin finish. If they could have used a Les Paul style switch rather than the crappy blade switch, and Schecter's locking tuners, it'd be my perfect Guitar. ...... of course I hadn't played it so it's purely speculation at this point.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The reason the Riot 8 looks proportional to the giant neck is because it was a bass design first :lol:

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason the Riot 8 looks proportional to the giant neck is because it was a bass design first :lol:
Yep, although scale length is also a factor, and this is no longer than their 7's are. Yet it still looks really good to me. Ticks a lot of boxes

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Of course, the Riot is just a 006 with pointier horns and bevels...

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:rofl: Yeah, but I agree it works a LOT better as an 8 string than a 6 string. I don't like the 6 string Riots at all(though the basses look great), but this 8 actually look great.
Agreed 100%. I mean I thought their C-8's worked surprisingly well, considering most other 8 string adaptations don't, but you struggled for access above fret 20 a little. I always thought that their former Stiletto Guitar (not bass) range worked fantastically, and really wanted one as a 7 or 8, but after seeing the custom made from Drum City Guitar Land, I soon changed that opinion, as it was really really awful. The Stiletto was also a bass adaptation, but that didn't work on an ERG. This does, and does it well.

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course, the Riot is just a 006 with pointier horns and bevels...
I actually think it's a little closer to the Stiletto design, but with a pointier shape and bevels. Perhaps it's a compromise between the two.

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Chris Garza one is cool at least, and the Hellraiser Specials
Hmmm not sure about a Tele style, especially with that finish. And I was originally interested in the HR Specials too, until I found out they were the budget version of the HR's. I might have gotten myself another C-8 but now I just want a Riot 8! :D

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Hmmm not sure about a Tele style, especially with that finish. And I was originally interested in the HR Specials too, until I found out they were the budget version of the HR's. I might have gotten myself another C-8 but now I just want a Riot 8! :D
I wouldn't really say they are budget versions since they have actual binding and thought put into their aesthetics

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't really say they are budget versions since they have actual binding and thought put into their aesthetics
They are the budget versions because they come with cheaper hardware and construction. That is what they were intended to be. I had previously enquired about one of their bridges as I thought it'd look better on my C-8 than the Hipshot, and this is what they said;

"Hi Chris,

Thanks for your interest and support of Schecter Guitars. Unfortunately, we do not sell replacement parts. The bridge to which you refer is a Korean version of the Hipshot, available on our lower priced guitars. We still feature the Hipshot bridge on the Hellraiser guitars, though it is only available in black. If it is any consolation, the black bridge is much more resistant to corrosion, as opposed to the black nickel version.

Thanks,
Schecter Tech Department"

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
is it just me... or did they axe their flying V guitars? (pun intended?)

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
is it just me... or did they axe their flying V guitars? (pun intended?)
Well the senior VP says it's still a work in progress so perhaps they're not listed yet. Although if you ask me, throwing in a truck load of V's in 6, 7 and 8 string versions all in one go and one year, was a pretty risky move. I never found anyone who'd want a V 8 string. I didn't think they were particularly attractive personally.

From what I've seen, they try out different things each year to see who bites, which is pretty cool. I think the V's were a big ol' dice roll which didn't pay off. The C-8's clearly worked, as they continued them passed their limited edition original roll out, and some more to boot for 2011. I personally thought their Stiletto's came to an end far too soon, but perhaps if anyone else thought that too, they'd still be in the line up :shrug:

1 - 20 of 170 Posts