Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

....and why Suhr is using them over OFR's.

I do see a few indie luthiers in Jpn that use them (ie: Bacchus). So are they just an alternative with the same construction?

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could never find a trem arm to fit it, so I never got to REALLY test it, but it stayed in tune well.
So it doesnt use a collar like the OFR's use?

I'm sure they can't be all that bad. I've been using the Gotoh-made Wilky VS-100 trems for years and they're always rock solid. So I wouldn't think their version of the Floyd is any different. But there's always the issue of spare parts. So I'm wondering now if it's going to be a problem down the road. :scratch:

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
I've tried both an OFR and the Gotoh floyd extensively and the Gotoh wins hands down for me. Great construction, it felt smoother and the arm is a genius idea. It's a combination of a pop-in and screw-in arm. Very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to say I'm a bit surprised about responses so far. For quite a few years I've only been hearing "OFR's or nothing". With maybe the exception of the Schaller.

No negative feedback/experiences with them? I'm eyeballing a Suhr Modern, and I was going to ask about it on the Suhr forums. But I'd prefer getting feedback from somewhere a bit more neutral.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Some Ibby Hardware is made in China now though. :lol:

The Gotoh Floyd was always awesome, but now that Floyd's patent is gone on the standard FR shape, they've only gotten better.

All steel, except the block which is brass. The bar is reverse threaded, and screws into the bridge, and then there's a tension adjustment at the top. The saddle tops are rounded, so they feel smooth on your hand palm muting. The block has 3 screws to hold the springs on, sorta like the "block-lok" on an Edge trem. Stays in tune perfectly.

Oh, did I mention they come with locking studs in the box? :lol:

The only negative for me is that they're fazing out the regular black for a cosmo-black, so I might have to grab a couple black ones off Ebay. I actually like this trem more than the Ibby Edge, and Might swap all my RGs to the Gotoh....

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bar is reverse threaded, and screws into the bridge, and then there's a tension adjustment at the top. The saddle tops are rounded, so they feel smooth on your hand palm muting. The block has 3 screws to hold the springs on, sorta like the "block-lok" on an Edge trem. Stays in tune perfectly.

Oh, did I mention they come with locking studs in the box? :lol:
Ah OK. So it sounds like the design of the trem arm and the locking studs on the VS-100 is similar to their Floyd. Which are great designs :yesway:

The only concern now? Where does one get replacement parts for the Gotoh Floyd? Are they even available? Like with their Wilky VS-100 trem, I could never find replacement saddles or bolts. So I eventually just gave up and keep a spare bridge around just to take parts off of it. Am I going to have to do the same with this one also?

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1b/40.2.005; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Allparts used to carry the arms themselves, but not the holder. I've yet to find a parts dealer. The saddle screws are all pretty standardized though, I've put Schaller bolts on Edge trems...

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Is the Gotoh floyd arm attached in the same way as a Wilkinson? Because that IS a genius arm holder.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
The Gotoh Floyd was always awesome, but now that Floyd's patent is gone on the standard FR shape, they've only gotten better.
I was waiting for the day this would happen, since it means third parties can step up their game. Before, you could only license a few of the patents on the OFR, never all at the same time. Zion took the unique approach of sourcing parts from three different manufacturers, and assembling the bridges themselves.

All steel, except the block which is brass. The bar is reverse threaded, and screws into the bridge, and then there's a tension adjustment at the top. The saddle tops are rounded, so they feel smooth on your hand palm muting. The block has 3 screws to hold the springs on, sorta like the "block-lok" on an Edge trem. Stays in tune perfectly.
Floyd blocks have been brass for some time now. Either way, I cannot see myself NOT using a FloydUpgrades big block instead. Those things are awesome.

I had my doubts about the Gotoh, until a buddy of mine put one on a parts mutt, giving me some time with it. It feels great to me, just like a real Floyd, but time will tell how it holds up. I'm assuming the baseplate is case hardened, since the bridge is NOT cheap (it's roughly $40 less than the real thing). Not sure what effect the non-90 degree whale tail will have on long term tuning stability, but I haven't seen any complaints thus far. They're certainly making the nicest non-Schaller double-locking bridge on the market, though. Ibanez trems have gone to junk, and TRS has always been junk.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Another positive vote for the Gotoh here.:) Had one in my main six string for about six years, and it's stupidly good. As others have said, the arm is a genius idea; it's a push-in like the Ibanez designs, but the screw to tighten or loosen the tension is on the top side of the guitar, so it doesn't the the usual push-in problem of becoming too floppy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had my doubts about the Gotoh, until a buddy of mine put one on a parts mutt, giving me some time with it. It feels great to me, just like a real Floyd, but time will tell how it holds up. I'm assuming the baseplate is case hardened, since the bridge is NOT cheap (it's roughly $40 less than the real thing). Not sure what effect the non-90 degree whale tail will have on long term tuning stability, but I haven't seen any complaints thus far. they're certainly making the nicest non-Schaller double-locking bridge on the market, though. Ibanez trems have gone to junk, and TRS has always been junk.
hopefully, i'll get off my duff and put up some pics of said "parts mutt". so far, so good. i'm not even using the locking nut either. i cut a graphite nut for it, and using locking tuners. I've been pleasantly surprised about its tuning stability. I also prefer its beefier fine tuners over the OFR and clones. pics soon, i hope

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Floyd blocks have been brass for some time now. Either way, I cannot see myself NOT using a FloydUpgrades big block instead. Those things are awesome.
Really? The OFR I bought last year must've been old stock, it had a steel block. Not that I plan to go out and buy brass blocks or anything.. :lol:

I had my doubts about the Gotoh, until a buddy of mine put one on a parts mutt, giving me some time with it. It feels great to me, just like a real Floyd, but time will tell how it holds up. I'm assuming the baseplate is case hardened, since the bridge is NOT cheap (it's roughly $40 less than the real thing). Not sure what effect the non-90 degree whale tail will have on long term tuning stability, but I haven't seen any complaints thus far. they're certainly making the nicest non-Schaller double-locking bridge on the market, though. Ibanez trems have gone to junk, and TRS has always been junk.
That retainer spring on the bottom is pretty damn strong, I had to 'break it in' to get the damn D-tuna working right. I can't see the tuning slipping from the saddles moving, but anything is possible. :scream:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Really? The OFR I bought last year must've been old stock, it had a steel block. Not that I plan to go out and buy brass blocks or anything.. :lol:
Schaller plates the blocks with something (not sure what, maybe zinc), but I assure you they are brass. When I installed a big block in my OFR-7, you could see it in the threaded holes where the block bolted to the base plate. They do a really good job, so I had no idea until that moment. Seems sensible to me, since brass tarnishes rather easily. I'm guessing the bridges were too bright with stainless steel, brass was cheaper, or some combination of both.

Oh, and you owe it to yourself to buy a big bock. It's not gonna get you to tune-o-matic territory, but the guitar definitely has a lot more girth now. I basically got my midrange back. The thing is HUGE, it actually limited my pull up range, but man does it ever sound fucking killer.

That retainer spring on the bottom is pretty damn strong, I had to 'break it in' to get the damn D-tuna working right. I can't see the tuning slipping from the saddles moving, but anything is possible. :scream:
It's one of those things that is part of the patent, and Floyd let no one license it. All the copies are south of 80 degrees (except the Schaller and Ping branded bridge, which is ~85). Of course, it might not make a difference at all, but I notice it right away. You logic about the retaining spring is sound, so I can only speculate as to Floyd's reasoning. Perhaps it is similar to tuning with the tuning machines, where you know that you always want to approach the note from below, to avoid binding in the nut. Maybe it is so rare that most people never even experience it, but it would be keeping with the nature of the man who over-engineered everything, and then found a savvy marketing plan.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.