Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there folks, I acquired a bit of gear back in the summertime and I'm trying to get back into playing and geeking out over my gear more often than I have been and in the process I feel I've gotten rusty at hooking up my equipment. To get to the meat of the matter, I want to use my Pod HD500 for FX with my AMT Bulava SS-30 as a preamp and a Hotone Binary CAB for IR loading that I'm running to my interface to my monitors. The Bulava has its own dedicated loop so the idea was to use 4CM so I can use the noise gate on the HD500 on both sides of the Bulava and bypass the cab modeling on the Pod and use the Binary for IRs and whatnot. My problem is that I have no idea what should go where in either loop and I feel I'm just overthinking the whole process so here I am haha. In what manner would be the best way to hook all these devices up together?

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
i would put the AMT in the loop of the HD500.

so the signal chain would go..

Guitar > HD500 Guitar input > HD500 fx send > AMT Input > AMT Output > HD500 fx Return > HD500 output.

Then make a patch with the fx loop engaged if you want to use the AMT, and then turn the loop off when you want to use the HD500 amp models.

The Hotone Binary could go at the very end of the chain - or if you only use it with the AMT you could stick it straight after that - like so..

• Guitar > HD500 Guitar input > HD500 fx send > AMT Input > AMT Output > HD500 fx Return > HD500 output > Hotone
  • Guitar > HD500 Guitar input > HD500 fx send > AMT Input > AMT Output > Hotone > HD500 fx Return > HD500 output.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried the first chain with the CAB in the loop with the Bulava and it sounds pretty good! Only problem I have still is some pretty gnarly noise from the Bulava that I'm trying to get rid of but even the noise gate is having issues with it. I dunno if its got some wiring issues or if it just a noisy pedal by nature but that was one of the reasons I wanted to loop it together with the Pod so I could use the noise gate more effectively. Maybe its just time to buy a decent noise suppressor pedal or take the Bulava to a shop and see if there's anything out of the ordinary going on.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
It could be the volume level of the pedal and the loop. It's hard to explain but you need to check the volume level from the hd500 send is roughly the same level as a guitar going straight in. Read up on signal to noise ratios and that might help. If not it might be a ground loop hum, and those are a pain in the arse to diagnose.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Input level/volume shouldn't be an issue, I have the send/return volume at its lowest and volume on the pedal relatively low to avoid clipping my interface so that's all well and good. The pedal was pretty noisy before I hooked it up to the Pod and I was hoping the issue would go away with the noise gate helping out and its slightly better but still get some high-pitched noise cycling every couple seconds. Sounds like a ground loop happening with the pedal more than likely. The pedal power supply I have has some power conditioning but I'm guessing in this case its not really helping out. I've read a couple other people having a similar issue but most Bulava owners say that its a relatively quiet pedal as long as you don't crank the gain too high so there might be something going on with the internal wiring or components in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts