Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about the LNG Jem Ibby copy he has. Always wanted one, probably wont be able to afford one that I would risk playing every week at the gigs though.

I know he has a bit of a bad wrap, but is it because of timelines or shitty work? I did some searching everyone seems to dig his work, but he seems to take a while.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I believe one or two people came forward with guitars that had really sloppy glue joints (ie. gaps) and some other issues (sanding marks, etc). Besides that, I know Budda had a custom built by him and I believe the SeXXXiverse was as well; which a million people (Shannon and Mesh included) had their hands on, so they might know better.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
If the past is any indication & you plan to get any painting done by him, expect....
1. Insanely long delays
2. Numerous excuses / Argumentative
3. Insufficient communication

However, I really hope he's changed his ways on overall customer service. His "you'll get it when i'm good & damn ready" attitude was pretty bad there for a while. Hell, he wouldn't even give you a rough timeline. I really think he overloaded himself with way too many orders & then got defensive when the backlash came...and there was a LOT to go around.

However, he has done some fantastic work in the past & I'd love to get some more from him if he's learned anything over the last couple of years. However, I'll let someone else be the guinea pig & post a review first. If he's improved, I'd be more than willing to give him my business again.

Examples of his paint work: See Donnie's Strype-o-verse & while the body was done by Chris Woods, he cleared my old Sexxxiverse as well.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I think if you do enough searching you'll find that the quality is reported to be hit and miss. Some things have come out great, others have not lived up to expectations at all. I get the feeling that he is capable of doing excellent work, but hasn't always delivered.

Caveat emptor...

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Glue joints are his biggest issue. Could pick out the bad ones on Budda's axe without even seeing a macro shot... I've had to fix a lot of things from bodies that have been sent to me and I just won't work on his crap anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Caveat emptor...
This.

I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on 7 string model. But got talked out of it by 2 members on this forum. I asked for some clarification from him about the issues that were mentioned. The ranting and raving that ensued was enough to scare me off.

Later on down the road I picked up Lee's JEM that had a poplar body made, or at least finished by Sims. It's not bad. But I could see why people would be annoyed if they were waiting for over a year for this.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Do you not see the ridiculous glue line on the back?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Anyone know of someone else thats willing to make me a LNG Ibby Jem clone?

:D
Chris Woods or maybe 2018 customs? /kidding

Have you tried pricing bits-and-pieces on ebay, and just getting somebody to do the finish work for you?

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris Woods or maybe 2018 customs? /kidding

Have you tried pricing bits-and-pieces on ebay, and just getting somebody to do the finish work for you?
I've thought of that, but it seems piece meal is usually more expensive than buying the $4k one that is on there right now.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well... I got a response from Patrick. Pretty quick actually, I sent an email this morning. I expected to wait two weeks.

:rofl:

Thank you for your email & interest in the guitars, however we no longer are accepting orders for Jem's & are focusing primarily on our Sims & LGM guitar lines. We could build you one of those in neon green. If interested let me know & I can send you some pictures & specs.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Well... I got a response from Patrick. Pretty quick actually, I sent an email this morning. I expected to wait two weeks.

:rofl:

Thank you for your email & interest in the guitars, however we no longer are accepting orders for Jem's & are focusing primarily on our Sims & LGM guitar lines. We could build you one of those in neon green. If interested let me know & I can send you some pictures & specs.
Of course you'll get a response now...but once you hand him money, good luck. That's always been the problem. :lol:

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.