Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title explains it all. I'm curious about these piezo systems and I wonder which would be the best in terms of the quack value, ie., which system has less.
Also, the L.R. Baggs needs an additional output and the Ghost doesn't. That means I could use a stereo Y-cable to split the piezo and magnetic signals into separate amps. I can also do that with two mono cables. All advice is welcome :yesway: :metal:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The GraphTech doesn't require two jacks, but does require a specific type of switching stereo jack. If you have a barrel jack on your guitar, you have to add an on/off switch for the preamp.

I love the sound of the GraphTech system. If i'm not mistaken, the Ernie Ball piezo system is by Baggs, and it also sounds really good.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What would the system be going into?
It's going into a custom 7 string I'll be building/assembling over this year. There will definitely be more threads about other fun custom options! I'm really excited about everything that's going into the guitar.

I own a JP and recently spent some time with the ghost system and acoustaphonic preamp. I like the one on the JP way better. I felt like it conveyed a fuller sound and had a wider frequency response.
Now I've heard different. I know that in ghost vids on youtube, the ones from graph tech themselves are obviously better miced than vids that people post, but the graph tec ones have always sounded better to me. I like the idea of two output jacks in the guitar, as it will be unoriginally based on the RG2027X VV, but I figured that it would be a fun project/first custom guitar..

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Really, the stock sound of the piezo pickup is almost irrelevant. I've played many, and they all sound pretty much the same - like a piezo pickup.

You want to really bring a piezo system to life, use some sort of good, dedicated piezo preamp. The Yamaha acoustic modeling stuff comes to mind (since it's what I use), but there are others. WAY more authentic tone. I for the life of me can't understand why someone like Petrucci doesn't use one, especially considering how tone-obsessed he is, because frankly, my piezo-acoustic sound flat DESTROYS his. (Thanks Yamaha Magictsomp.)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Really, the stock sound of the piezo pickup is almost irrelevant. I've played many, and they all sound pretty much the same - like a piezo pickup.

You want to really bring a piezo system to life, use some sort of good, dedicated piezo preamp. The Yamaha acoustic modeling stuff comes to mind (since it's what I use), but there are others. WAY more authentic tone. I for the life of me can't understand why someone like Petrucci doesn't use one, especially considering how tone-obsessed he is, because frankly, my piezo-acoustic sound flat DESTROYS his. (Thanks Yamaha Magictsomp.)
I agree. I've always thought his acoustic tone sounds like shit. I've never really cared for any of the Fishman stuff. The LR Baggs, RMC, and Ghost all sound better to me.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The Yamaha stuff is great. I use a Tech21 Acoustic DI and it's EQ is perfect for taming the piezo 'quack'. Sounds great direct to the board with a touch of reverb.

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Over the years I've installed pretty much all of them for customers, and my favorite sounding system is the Graphtech Acousti-phonic, followed by the Baggs. Fishman has always sounded consistantly the 'quackiest'.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Yep. GraphTech includes wiring diagrams for a few different wiring configs. If you're trying to do something that their documentation doesn't cover, their customer support is quite excellent.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will probably do that then! I like the sound of the Ghost the best and I love the look of two output jacks!

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
See if you can dig up a Yamaha AG-Stomp. Hands down the best Acoustic piezo pre-amp that (isn't) on the market now. Can't believe they discontinued that.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
See if you can dig up a Yamaha AG-Stomp. Hands down the best Acoustic piezo pre-amp that (isn't) on the market now. Can't believe they discontinued that.
The Magicstomp is basically the same exact thing. I have owned both (still have the Magicstomp).

Same soundness, same functionality, it's just a smaller package. That said, you're absolutely right.

Again, piezo brands matter much less. They all sound like piezo pickups. The preamp is where it's at.

·
18,790 Posts
I've got a Fishman Powerbridge waiting for my Warmoth Tele to be ready for assembly, and I plan on using a Fishman Spectrum Aura as my pre-amp. I haven't tried the Powerbridge yet, but every demo I've heard of the Spectrum Aura and the bit of goofing around I've done with non-piezo pickups have convinced me this thing can do basically anything :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts