Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking really hard about getting an Agile AL-3000 (with the P90's). I want to make sure it's worth the purchase though. How do these hold up compared to their counterparts? (gibson, epiphone, edwards, greco, etc.)

I've heard they are a great guitar all in their own, a lot of people don't even call them knock-off les pauls because they're so nice. Any first hand experience here?

·
18,790 Posts
I played Budda's Agile (can't remember the exact model) and it definitely killed any Epiphone I've ever played. I haven't really spent enough time on a real Gibson to give a fair opinion, but the Agile was a very solid, very heavy guitar, and the tone was really decent. I imagine it would be pretty amazing with a new set of pickups. Basically, they're really decent guitars, you just might have to put a little bit of work into it (setup, pickups if you want, maybe a little bit of fret work) and possibly live with some minor cosmetic imperfections.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Personally, i'd get a model with standard-size humbuckers, then swap them out for humbucker-sized P-90s like Duncan Phat Cats or P-Rails.

Just to keep your options open down the road, y'know?

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I have yet to read a bad Agile AL review, if that says anything at all. Oh, and I read a lot. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Keep in mind that the regular AL-3000 doesn't have a maple cap (just a veneer), so it's not going to sound quite like a real Les Paul or clone. Agile does make a version with a maple cap, the AL-3000M, but I don't recall seeing those with P90s.

It might be for the best, anyway. The classic P90 sound comes from either an SG Junior or Les Paul Junior, neither of which has the maple cap or that bright "toppy" sound.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
My Agile AL-3100 that I am buying back was on par with my gibson LP studio, and fared well against a gibson LP custom that needs a minor setup :yesway:

I would and will buy more agile AL's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts