Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of putting them in the bridge of several of my guitars. Is there a specific wood combo they work best in? I'm looking to put them in Ebony fretboard/mahogany neck and body guitars as well as poplar body/rosewood fretboard/maple neck guitars. What kind of sounds do they pull?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Why several? I'd say, just drop it in one, and see how it compares.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I played one in a mahogany/maple/ebony short-scale Jackson Soloist Pro, and it's one of the few ceramic magnet pickups I've ever liked. It has the warmth of a JB without the wooly low end or any ceramic harshness.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
The aldrich is an awesome pickup, its a little thin, but very dense, so it can do buttrock incredibly well, but it handles going into a bottom heavy amp well too, because it rounds out alot without getting rumbly. Very bitting, a lot like a JB but a bit tighter, while a bit tighter eq'd. Pretty hot, but it behaves a lot more like a medium output pickup, so you can crank it up to the strings and get some pretty gnarly output from the thing that stays very well defined, if you wanna fatten it up. I fucking love the shit out of mine in everything ive put it in: An ibanez RG320, a Carvin CT6 (ebony board, all mah with a maple cap), and now resides in my socal (alder body maple neck/board).

I cant recommend the thing highly enough

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I don't really hear anything negative about it.

How do you guys think it would work for C# death metal riffing and Arsis style bridge pickup leads?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I use it in a heavy as hell mahogany superstrat with maple neck and rosewood board. Sounds freaking amazing... tight and "snarly" with enough chunk to do the heavies pretty well. It's also super organic and "feels" like a much lower output pickup than its DC resistance would seem to indicate.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I put one in the bridge position of my Heritage Les Paul Custom and it sounded fantastic. I would say it adds more low end than it does top-end scream. Really good pickup, and I suspect it would sound good in most guitars.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I played one in a mahogany/maple/ebony short-scale Jackson Soloist Pro, and it's one of the few ceramic magnet pickups I've ever liked. It has the warmth of a JB without the wooly low end or any ceramic harshness.
An AT pro was one of the guitars I was originally thinking of putting it in. I was also thinking of putting it in my recently acquired Ontario Soloist (poplar/maple/rosewood).

The other pickups I was considering was the dimarzio tone zone or the super 3 (would consider SDs too but I don't know much about them). I don't really want to go for anything "boutique" I have several BKs but I'm moving away from that sound.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I just got a Suhr Modern that's equipped with it. OK, now I get the hype. It's everything the JB should be (or might have been at one time) but with tighter low end. Haven't done anything lower than a drop-D tuning with it. But on the wood combo I'm using (alder/maple/ebony) it's staying very clear and defined.

Also +1 on the lower output comments. It's actually pretty close to the medium output Air Zone Dimarzio's I usually fall back on. I was thinking it would be quite a bit hotter, but it's not.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put one in the bridge position of my Heritage Les Paul Custom and it sounded fantastic. I would say it adds more low end than it does top-end scream. Really good pickup, and I suspect it would sound good in most guitars.
Well you have experience with both the pickup and the exact guitar I was planning on eventually dropping one in! AT Pro + Aldrich=?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
The guitar that Mike played with the Aldrich in it is mine. It's a Jackson Archtop Pro. The pickup sounds amazing in it. AT Pro + Aldrich = :yum:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Dude, that guitar just sounds amazing.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I think all of the retailers have ebay offerings. If you don't want to go through ebay, you can find which stores offer them by looking there.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
eBay or The Tone Merchants :shrug:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts