Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys its me again back with another newbie question. When I was taking guitar lessons I asked my guitar teacher if it should be making scratchy noise when changing between power chords, and how I could minimize it. He told me nothing you could do about it, and it didn't really matter since its hardly noticeable in recordings or playing live for electric guitar.. is this true? reason I ask after taking lessons for almost a year now I just don't feel like I'm the guitar player that I should be at this stage. I'm quitting my teacher in 2 weeks which means I have taken a year of lessons from him and actually can't wait really so I can start really practicing my own routines because I feel like I get myself where I need to be now. Don't get me wrong his helped me with guitar theory but he would have me practice 1 exercise a week. I would practice the pentatonic scale for a week and then next week I practice another scale.. his never had me practice with a metronome, I did barre chords for a month. The songs he had me learn where Brown Eye Girl, Some Beatles, and he knows I love metal so the only metal song i've done in a year is Enter Sandman. His never had me learn or helped me learn a whole song, i've never played to a backing track or understand how to do so. Maybe its just expecting more out of my self ok i'm done rambling lol :ugh: but I plan on asking you guys plenty of questions if thats okay ;):yesway:

The only reason i've stuck it out with him this long is because my wife paid for a year of lessons for me for my birthday/christmas because she knows how much I wanted to learn guitar and I didn't want to quit him because she would have thought I was giving up :nuts::roll2: and really there aren't many teachers and I actually picked this one had good reviews on google reviews.. which now honestly I think was all staged now.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You can minimize it by keeping as little pressure as possible on the strings when shifting between power chords. Also, using less gain/compression helps mute it, and palm muting will naturally mute some of the noise as well.

·
Registered
617 Posts
He's kind of right about the string noise, it happens and you can't do a whole bunch about it when you are changing chords and moving around the fretboard a lot. If your muting is not great then work on that because it's the real key for keeping unwanted string noise down in general.
I think he showed you stuff you felt wasn't too important because that's how he's taught others successfully. Most people are delighted to learn 3 chord tricks and shy away from metronomes and learning full songs because they aren't as fun as learning the big riff and jamming it out.
It sounds like you have learned a good bit and are ready to teach yourself now anyway, with all the stuff on the net you can become a great player without first hand instruction.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's kind of right about the string noise, it happens and you can't do a whole bunch about it when you are changing chords and moving around the fretboard a lot. If your muting is not great then work on that because it's the real key for keeping unwanted string noise down in general.
I think he showed you stuff you felt wasn't too important because that's how he's taught others successfully. Most people are delighted to learn 3 chord tricks and shy away from metronomes and learning full songs because they aren't as fun as learning the big riff and jamming it out.
It sounds like you have learned a good bit and are ready to teach yourself now anyway, with all the stuff on the net you can become a great player without first hand instruction.
I knew it was important plus I know its important to be a well rounded player but I always read how important it is to practice with a metronome I just thought it was odd that he never really pushed me towards it more. I have learned more then I ever did at day 1. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I question myself a lot. I'm like a sponge right now man I want to learn as much as possible to be a good player :metal:

·
Registered
23 Posts
hand noises etc.. will happen to an extent until technique is finely tuned. part of the learning curve I'm afraid.

Practice is what fixes it, better co-ordination and better muting will minimise it but you'll always get the odd handling noise. Make sure you mute a bit tighter when changing chords and as said when sliding between chords very little pressure with your fretting hand. You'll stil get a bit but less and less as your technique improves.

Remember though the harder you hit the strings the less gain you need, the less distortion = less noise.

Turn down the gain, play hard, mute properly and release pressure when changing chords should get rid of most of it. Oh and show your guitar teacher the door.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The above tips are good and there's one more I can offer. Don't become the type of player that does nothing but move bar chords up and down the 6th string. That generates the most noticeable string noise ,especially when over gained.

Check out John Petrucci as he's one of the great metal guitarists that utilizes lots of strings and positions on the guitar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.