Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night I got my pickup rings installed onto the Jackson 7 and the guitar looks really hot (pics tonight).

I'm now ready to ditch the dimarzio place holders that were in there for a pair of SDs. Now in the past I had tried a Custom and Jazz but they were direct mounted to the body and I had them covered in the EMG covers. This meant that their output was kind of limited due to their distance from the strings. I know the Custom likes to be really close to the strings.

However this time around I want to see if there are any other SDs I should try out before going the Custom/Jazz route. Fyi - the Jackson 7 is all korina (neck and wings) and thus is very warm. The DMZs in there are great but way too warm on the low end and thus sounding way too bassy.

I was looking at all these other pickups: Full shred (neck/bridge), Distortion (bridge), Invader (looks gnarly lol).

I'd like the neck to be a nice smooth PAF meets Air Norton (most likely Jazz right) and the bridge to be a nice bright pickup - tight and well defined.

EDIT: Might try BKPs again..

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Cold Sweat (B) & Holy Diver (N)
I can see why people like the Cold Sweat neck for sure. It has the same kind of really fluid leads that the Jazz and 85 can also pull off. Shame I like my leads a little more icepicky. :lol: I actually really like the painkiller neck in Mahogany, have you tried that one Crooks? Not quite as fluid as the Cold Sweat but I feel like it has more articulation, and I like the cleans better too, slightly twangy and generally awesome.

The only bridge BKP I've tried is the Painkiller, and it was good at what it does. I might buy one again sometime in the future, pretty sweet pickup if you like really grindy metal.

I know that doesn't answer your question Mesh :lol:, but all the pickups I like don't come in seven string variants.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Why are you even asking? Send a Custom and a Jazz to Wolfe. ;) The JB might work in that, but I haven't liked them much in Korina in the past. Then again, what you get back from Wolfe is NOT a JB. ;)

·
HAWKS & FUCK SEC!
1,672 Posts
Why are you even asking? Send a Custom and a Jazz to Wolfe. ;) The JB might work in that, but I haven't liked them much in Korina in the past. Then again, what you get back from Wolfe is NOT a JB. ;)
This is Mesh we are talking about Mike. He'll send the pups to Wolfe...then sell em prior to actually getting them. :D

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; A6277 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 Sprint APA6277KT)

Andy said:
This is Mesh we are talking about Mike. He'll send the pups to Wolfe...then sell em prior to actually getting them. :D
Good, since I've been meaning to try a re-wound Custom.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Dave, I have a Custom 7 that I'm thinking of having re-wound.

A) Your typical prejudices aside, would it sound reasonably solid in basswood?

B) If I don't like it, do you want it?

Mesh, I think the Cold Sweats would fit the bill in both slots.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; A6277 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 Sprint APA6277KT)

Honestly, I've never liked Duncans in basswood. Take that with a grain of salt, since I don't like basswood, but I think Dimarzio works better there. Customs mainly do well in mahogany and similar woods.

·
Read Only
10 Posts

Honestly, I've never liked Duncans in basswood. Take that with a grain of salt, since I don't like basswood, but I think Dimarzio works better there. Customs mainly do well in mahogany and similar woods.
I, on the other hand, didn't like the JB at all in Mahogany.

To each their own. Basswood is awesome, and Dave sucks anyway.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:fawk:

I've still got a Custom 7 at Wolfes - but not sure what's up with it. I send it to him a while back to get it rewound for a smoother higher end and more mids btu then I guess I never heard from him and/or sold the guitar it was going into (one of my Rg7CTs) :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts