Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum... my apologies.

Considering adding SD Invaders (SH-6 & 8) to a newly purchased guitar.

There is a lot of fuzz, buzz, etc. When replacing the pick ups, will it help to swap out any other items to reduce unwanted noise?

Pic provided for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
That sounds like more of a setup issue than an electronic one, unless you mean electronic noise when you say "buzz".

The SH-6 is the Distortion. Those can sound good. The SH-8 Invader I have never been able to get a decent tone out of.

Also: Moved to the right forum. ;)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I had a set of Invaders in a very nice guitar. They sounded awful.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The Invader Neck is actually not terrible. I had one loaded in some super thick SG copy with a Full Shred bridge, which was also not terrible :yesway:

You may just need some shielding (if the noise is electronic buzzing/humming). Grab some conductive paint if you don't mind giving it a day or so to dry/cure, it's the best. Else, copper tape also works, but man, I hate working with that stuff :lol:. Just drop either one of these two into your pickup routes and electronics cavities, and make sure you ground it, and you should be nice and quiet :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
If it's basic electronic humming, then the grounding of the various pots/pickups/switch/bridge could be defective somewhere. A guitar with humbuckers shouldn't need lots of special attention (grounding tape, paint etc.) as long as the basic components are properly grounded. Heck, it could be something as simple as one of the ground wires coming unsoldered. In an inexpensive guitar, that's a distinct possibility if the original soldering job wasn't very good.

It's worth checking that out before replacing anything.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
I like Invaders. I think it’s all about the pickup height with them. If you run them up high like a normal high gain humbucker odds are you won’t like em. When you install em, take some time playing with the height and you should be able to get where you want to go.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
In the right guitar invaders sound great, guitar needs to be naturally bright as fuck though. Anything else and its a mud fest.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Invader is pretty good in a flying v they just have less top end so you have to re-eq if you have other pickups.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys scared me away from the Invaders. I'm going to pay for the routing and have a set of EMGs installed.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
You know there are other options than Invaders and EMGs right? People seem to like the Seymour Duncan Distortion (never tried it personally), the JB is usually considered pretty good (although it has some characteristics that aren't universally liked) . Dimarzio has several pickups that are pretty good, I personally really like the Norton, Evo2 is nice. Plenty of good options that don't require routing.

And if the problem is noise when you're not playing, then check that the soldering is good first as Jacksonplayer wrote.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
You know there are other options than Invaders and EMGs right? People seem to like the Seymour Duncan Distortion (never tried it personally), the JB is usually considered pretty good (although it has some characteristics that aren't universally liked) . Dimarzio has several pickups that are pretty good, I personally really like the Norton, Evo2 is nice. Plenty of good options that don't require routing.
When you lower the Invader appropriately it mimics the distortion. And, I think if you go lower still it mimics one of the other SDs (Custom 5 maybe?? Don't remember).

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
There are SO many other pickups I'd recommend before jumping ship and going to EMGs :lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate the insights, however, I have two other guitars with EMGs and I'm really happy with them. I originally wanted EMGs, but didn't want to invest in the routing for an inexpensive guitar. It just looks cool so I have to do it.

The EMGs come with the following:

Package includes:
EMG's exclusive Quik-Connect cable
Prewired split shaft volume/tone control set
Output jack
Battery clip set
Screws and springs

Other than a battery box, is there anything else that needs to be replaced? The selector switch?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You should be able to use the same selector switch :yesway:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Before routing, have you verified for sure the battery won’t fit in the electronics cavity? I’ve seen a lot of guys in the Ibanez S group I’m in put a 9volt in those which are crazy thin guitars.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
As Mike suggested, before routing, I'd see whether the battery will fit in the control cavity. Two pieces of velcro will save you the routing - one attached to the bottom of the control cavity and one wrapped around the battery. Also, if you're creative, you could fashion a small pouch for the battery and attach velcro to the outside.

I don't know about you, but I hate cutting into guitars.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
I would get the electronics sorted and see how you feel about it. The Distortion is a badass pickup. The Invader is just a bad pickup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts