1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
All for the low price of $325usd!

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I like trying new pickups so these had me interested. They're from the custom shop, so the price is on par with their other CS pickups, but for that price - there are other pickups I'm interested in trying first.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I like trying new pickups so these had me interested. They're from the custom shop, so the price is on par with their other CS pickups, but for that price - there are other pickups I'm interested in trying first.
By other pickups, you mean literally every pickup except the SD custom shop models?

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
You make no sense now young lad.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The funny thing is SD does make a couple pickups that are worth moderate CS prices. I love my Black Winters, and I want to try the RTM (Warren Demartini JB).

But if you pay over $250 for a 2H set you are a tool. There is no other way around it. I paid over three bills for a set of BKPs in my impressionable youth and I'm still hugely ashamed of it. Spending that much money on pickups is the most underwhelming thing ever. I even felt douchey receiving them.

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
The funny thing is SD does make a couple pickups that are worth moderate CS prices. I love my Black Winters, and I want to try the RTM (Warren Demartini JB).

But if you pay over $250 for a 2H set you are a tool. There is no other way around it. I paid over three bills for a set of BKPs in my impressionable youth and I'm still hugely ashamed of it. Spending that much money on pickups is the most underwhelming thing ever. I even felt douchey receiving them.
The only pickups I would pay $300+ for again would be more Black Winters like the Custom Shop made me the last time. Already got my BKP t-shirt and although they sound great not sure I would do that again because of the price. The Black Winters though still blow me away every time I plug in.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Black Winters are awesome pickups. I have two complete sets in two different guitars and love them both (the neck slays too). They totally missed the boat with the black metal themed marketing. It's more of a better (to my tastes) Distortion. A little grittier and hairier.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I love Mark's playing and Periphery as a whole, but yeah, $325 is more of an ouch than I was expecting!

Black Winters are at the very top of my list still for trying in my next 6er (coming soon). I just haven't heard a single bad thing said about them yet. And that's for most applications too. I'm not too up on Duncans anymore but can they be easily had in different colours or do they have to be a custom shop jobby?

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I think I paid $220 for the lollar bridge pickup I put in my old custom 22.

Let that sink in :lol: (granted I bought it new).

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I'm not really interested but $325 for custom shop pickups isn't bad considering what you pay for NOT custom shop pickups from BKP or Lundgren. :2c:

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
I'm not really interested but $325 for custom shop pickups isn't bad considering what you pay for NOT custom shop pickups from BKP or Lundgren. :2c:
What makes the wording of 'custom shop' on these Duncans worth any more than BKP, Lundgren or other boutique pickups.
It's not like these are made to the customers taste, at the end of the day they're just another model of Duncan that is handmade. In reality they are no more 'custom shop' than BKP or Lundgren.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I'd much rather pay that for Duncans than BKP's. They're not mass made, just like BKP's, and will no doubt be made to extremely high tolerances, like BKP. I don't understand why people would go "LOL not 4 Duncans m8" when they're essentially built the same as BKP's.

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
This year JMI Music will be at the Dallas Guitar Show with a whole bunch of Custom Shop goodies and a special 10% discount. If you can't make it to the show, we're going to be offering all of you a chance to get the same discount through the end of the week. Just enter code: DALLAS at checkout and enjoy.
This just turned up in my email along with the new pickup announcement but strangely aren't stocking them.

ATTN: McCoy
JMI | Guitar & Bass & Amp Parts » Seymour Duncan RTM Custom Shop Warren DeMartini Signature Humbucker

1 - 20 of 46 Posts