Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I'm not really interested but $325 for custom shop pickups isn't bad considering what you pay for NOT custom shop pickups from BKP or Lundgren. :2c:
The thing is, if I'm going to pay that much for custom shop pickups from Duncan I'll have them made how I want them made.

$0.02

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I'm not really interested but $325 for custom shop pickups isn't bad considering what you pay for NOT custom shop pickups from BKP or Lundgren. :2c:
BKP are basically the European Duncan or Dimarzio; good, but nothing special. The exchange rate, shipping, and import tariffs make them expensive. For the money, you can go with a real boutique pickup winder, like Wolfe, which will stomp the shit out of BKP.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
The thing is, if I'm going to pay that much for custom shop pickups from Duncan I'll have them made how I want them made.

$0.02
No arguments although I recently took the Martin Guitar factory tour, and the guy mentioned that some of their specialized short-run and custom guitars feature materials sourced SPECIFICALLY for that build and are in limited supply.

Not that I could guarantee this is the case, but there's an off chance the magnets, wire or some element of these might be unique enough that it's legitimately a case of features you can literally only get in these pickups. I mean, without talking to whoever makes them there's no knowing but it's not that far fetched. :2c:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Through all of my pickup whoring I've learned not to spend more than $100. I paid $100 for a BKP Coldsweat a few weeks ago because I'be been so keen to try one. But I'll never buy a new BKP again. Used DMZ's/SD's almost always do the trick. I used to buy new when my tech got dealer prices, but...

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
No arguments although I recently took the Martin Guitar factory tour, and the guy mentioned that some of their specialized short-run and custom guitars feature materials sourced SPECIFICALLY for that build and are in limited supply.

Not that I could guarantee this is the case, but there's an off chance the magnets, wire or some element of these might be unique enough that it's legitimately a case of features you can literally only get in these pickups. I mean, without talking to whoever makes them there's no knowing but it's not that far fetched. :2c:
Flux capacitor.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
BKP are basically the European Duncan or Dimarzio; good, but nothing special. The exchange rate, shipping, and import tariffs make them expensive.
That's the thing. Even on these shores without the exchange rate, import duties and shipping, they're still quite a bit more expensive than DiMarzio or Duncan are. I'm not saying that BKP don't make a great pickup, because they really do. But due to the hype many people believe they're far superior to most anything DiMarzio or Duncan have to offer. And when you take the prices into account I'm not convinced that's the case. :2cents:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
BKP are basically the European Duncan or Dimarzio; good, but nothing special. The exchange rate, shipping, and import tariffs make them expensive. For the money, you can go with a real boutique pickup winder, like Wolfe, which will stomp the shit out of BKP.
Well, it's more that they're made in, and priced for, the UK market. We certainly don't pay import tariffs - rather, Dimarzios and Duncans are slapped with import tarrifs going into the UK, and Bareknuckles have a street price that's on par with the UK price of a Duncan or Dimarzio. They could probably sell them at comparable prices in the states, but demand is good enough that there's no need to. But, you probably knew all that :lol:

I LIKE the set in my Suhr, but just because they're voiced kind of the way I like from a humbucker.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Well, it's more that they're made in, and priced for, the UK market. We certainly don't pay import tariffs - rather, Dimarzios and Duncans are slapped with import tarrifs going into the UK, and Bareknuckles have a street price that's on par with the UK price of a Duncan or Dimarzio. They could probably sell them at comparable prices in the states, but demand is good enough that there's no need to. But, you probably knew all that :lol:

I LIKE the set in my Suhr, but just because they're voiced kind of the way I like from a humbucker.
Nah, BKP's are still almost twice as expensive as DiMarzio/Duncan/EMG etc.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
The funny thing is SD does make a couple pickups that are worth moderate CS prices. I love my Black Winters, and I want to try the RTM (Warren Demartini JB).

But if you pay over $250 for a 2H set you are a tool. There is no other way around it. I paid over three bills for a set of BKPs in my impressionable youth and I'm still hugely ashamed of it. Spending that much money on pickups is the most underwhelming thing ever. I even felt douchey receiving them.
:goyou:

21 - 40 of 46 Posts