Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is driving me nuts.

My fathers Windows 7 laptop got a virus, which I took care of using a handful of different programs (spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, Microsoft SE, etc.)

The virus in question was Personal Internet Security 2011, which poses as an anti-virus prog.

After cleaning it off, I removed some changes to the Registry that it made, but while I can access websites like mg.org, and even msn.com, whenever I try to access google.com, or try to search using Bing, or yahoo, the page just times out. This happened when the malware was still on the computer as well, so it wasn't a result of anything I did.

tl;dr: I have full internet access, except search engines are blocked due to the dicks behind 'Personal Internet Security 2011'

Also, anyone who links to LMGTFY.com is getting a punch in the dick.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears that the hosts file is missing, but when I logged in to the laptop from mine to transfer over my good hosts file, it turns out that the hosts file on my fathers laptop is hidden, as well as a dozen or so backups of the file, and I don't (yet) have the ability to replace it.

Edit: unhiding system files displays the hosts file and it's backups. Now if UltraVNC will stop crashing, I'll have a look at the file. :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts