Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Continental is making some great tires at a very reasonable price. I've been happy with the ones that came on my Passat, which is probably about the same track size/wheelbase/weight as your car.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Need to know more about your car, but I will say I buy "performance" all-seasons for my Cobalt, and I was not happy with the stock Pirelli (P6 Fourseasons), but was pleased with BFGoodrich (G-Force A/S) and (so far) Yokohama (Avid Envigor A/S).

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Dethphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've had great experiences with Michelin Pilots on our old Golf. And I'd second Noodles' suggestion of Continentals.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Snow tires or regular ones? I have some really nice Hakkepelita Hak 5 studded snows with only one season on them that are illegal in my current place of residence...

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Snow tires or regular ones? I have some really nice Hakkepelita Hak 5 studded snows with only one season on them that are illegal in my current place of residence...
Regular. We get a fair amount of snow, sometimes enough to warrant snow tires, but they're illegal in this state, AFAIK.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Searched and saw it's an LT :yesway:

I always shop Tire Rack for new sneakers to read reviews and, best of all, tests when available.

These are what I have, and they plow through water well but I haven't had any snow experience on them yet. 5000 miles in and they're showing good tread wear and have been fun for sticking in corners.

Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V)

Goodyear Eagle GT looks like a good choice too, though I think it's more oriented to dry traction than wet/snow performance. There's a video and a link to a test comparing it to some comparable tires. Tread looks less aggressive; see how it's missing the little blocks that capture snow/slush.

Goodyear Eagle GT

Michelin Pilot has already been recommended and looks good:

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

Just make sure you get a load rating at least high as the OEM tire. (Bridgestone Insignia SE200 with a 94 load rating). Anything recommended thus far is more bad-ass, as those are classified as "passenger" tires.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The last set of Yokohamas that I had (on my Acura) were obnoxiously loud. Ridiculously loud. I ended up replacing them (at $200+ a tire :mad:) because I couldn't deal with the noise anymore.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Regular. We get a fair amount of snow, sometimes enough to warrant snow tires, but they're illegal in this state, AFAIK.
Snow tires will not be illegal, but hardcore studded ones... maybe... could be. Chains are illegal in a lot of places. We had them when I was a kid but they got better about salting and now they're illegal since they shred the roads.

Leon, the SS is a 6-cylinder with 240 hp. It's just tuned more aggressively than yours and has about 300 cc's extra.

You could get that fast with just a few stickers and a fart-can exhaust tip. :yesway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Needs painted drums and double-blade wipers with aerodynamic plastic bits.

Edit: Is that a fake intercooler in the front? :lol:
No, that's the radiator. :mad: My car actually came with a little grille to protect it, but after it got banged up (just needed radiator and front fascia work) they replaced with with an aftermarket panel that had no grille. I was mad but they wouldn't fix it.

for the HP?

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I was using Yokohama and Michelin tires almost exclusively on my Acuras for the past 15 years and decided to go with a line that I use for my company's fleet.

Kumho doesn't have the brand name recognition of a Michelin or even a Yokohama yet but the tires sell for a good price and hold up really well on vehicles that take an absolute beating for us. I threw a set on my wife's car to replace 4 hideously loud Yokohama Avids (Chris can vouch.....her car sounded and rode like a 20 year old shitbox. :mad:)and the car is now much quieter, rides a shit-ton better and I got them for about half of what I would have paid for a set of OEM Michelin Energys .

Check out the link below to see what we got. If you are running 16's or less the price would be even less.

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.