Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
's all in the wrist
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fiddling around lately trying to get a good sound so I could start re-recording my old stuff and I need opinions about this little clip. There's a lot for me to learn and I'll be doing a lot of small clips like this to get advice from people.

There's 2 guitar tracks, one panned hard left and the other hard right, 1 bass track and drums are SD2.0 Avatar kit. And yes I know it's a cheesy tune :lol: but I like how it turned out, especially the last part :metal:

*edit*
2nd song
http://soundcloud.com/kostein/jumar-mixtest1

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I think everything sounded pretty good. The guitars sound good, and the drums sound good.

The high hat sounds a little on the high side of the treble spectrum to me. It seemed to "tsssst" out of the mix a little.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Maybe you could compress drums a bit more (parallel compression maybe), and add a bit low end to the kick to make it slightly fatter
I just tried parallel compression on one of my mixes. That's a pretty rockin technique :yesway:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Yeah guitars are on the loud side my man, but good tone! Just drop them a couple db, make the drums come out a bit more with some parallel comp as someone mentioned, and it'll be right as rain :yesway:

·
's all in the wrist
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your comments.

I haven't tried parallel compression yet but I'll try it out when I have time. I'll be getting a pair of studio monitors next week and I'm looking forward to trying to get a good mix on those. I still have a lot to learn but I think with each attempt I'm getting better, even by the slightest margin.

I recorded a new song today, it's a tune I wrote some time ago and I only had a very rough demo of it. I think I over compressed it plus the guitars seem a bit loud and are drowning the drums a bit.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Not the drums in their entirety, it's only really the kick that's getting drowned there IMO, otherwise a well balanced mix

1 - 8 of 8 Posts