Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not the guitar player in my band and I have no use for the 100W head. It's too loud for my apartment and I really like Blackstar Amps. There's a guy in Rockford,Ill that sells them and I really liked the sound of the HT Stage-60 I played, but I would be going for the HT-20H head to use with my 4x12 that is loaded with Celestion V-30's. I am really into checking out these Blackstar Amps some more and seeing what sounds/tone I can pull out of them! I'm curious if anyone here has checked out this particular head or the combo version of it and what the pros/cons vs. what else is on the market. I'm aware of the Metal Amp guide thread in which Josh reviewed the HT-5, but I want some more info on the head. I'm going for the Opeth gain and clean sounds (ie. why I got the Laney), but at a reasonable volume. I also have a TS808 reissue to throw in front if the gain isn't enough :metal:

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I would. I love the HT-20. It's my 2nd fav blackstar next to the HT-5. My buddy has one and just completely loves it.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I prefered the 20 WAY over the 40, but honestly the 5 sounds the best out of the HT series by a long shot.

FWIW, the 20 is still fucking loud.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Are you avoiding the 100w based on volume alone? The 100w's drop right down to 10w. Which is why I sold my HT-5. They also do a 50w S1. I've not had much play time with the HT series besides the 5, but from what I've heard they're sweet!

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
I agree that the HT-5 is sweet (I own one), but I've gotta admit that the clean channel is nicer on the HT-20, It's just warmer and has more headroom.
Either of them will easily get you Opeth style distortion. IMO they can convincingly pull off any style you would want and are great amps for the money.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The HT-5 sounds the best of any of the HT series by a long shot. Still haven't played a Series One.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
20w is plenty loud, and should keep up with a moderately abusive drummer.

If you're looking for solid bedroom jamming, get a preamp you love, and two power amps. One tube, one solid state. When I jam with my band, I run my 100w tube power amp, and by myself, my MosValve solid state amp.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Also, more HT-5 love :wub:

With the right pedal (read: this) you can shake house foundations :agreed:

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, more HT-5 love :wub:

With the right pedal (read: this) you can shake house foundations :agreed:
That is way more than I need right now!

Are you avoiding the 100w based on volume alone? The 100w's drop right down to 10w. Which is why I sold my HT-5. They also do a 50w S1. I've not had much play time with the HT series besides the 5, but from what I've heard they're sweet!
It's mostly price and from what I played at the store (30-40 mins) I liked the sound of the Blackstar more than what I was getting from the Laney :shrug:

The HT-5 sounds the best of any of the HT series by a long shot. Still haven't played a Series One.
Do you mean distortion and cleans wise? I really liked the HT-20H, but I didn't get to try the HT-5. It's not necessarily out of the question, I just want something to replace the Laney until I'm actually playing gigs with my guitar set-up. I barely use the Laney and actually use my Line 6 because it doesn't deafen me, the neighbors, and the business below.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The HT-5's distortion is absolutely fantastic. It sounds like a very big amp, even at low volumes through small cabs.

The clean channel can be sparkly, but it doesn't have much headroom. The overdrive sounds from cranking the clean channel are awesome though.

The HT-20 just didn't "feel" as nice, and got a little harsher on the top end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had a GH50L and currently own a HT-5 and I must say that I like the Blackstar much, much more. The tone of the Laney was not bad by any means, but I didn't think it was at its best in a metal context. How Opeth got their tone with the GH series is beyond me. The distortion in HT-5 is crunchier, and also the tone is considerably less bright. With the Laney and a cab loaded with V30 elements I ran some pretty wild EQ settings to get rid of the upper midrange spike.

Only two caveats about the HT-5
-Unsurprisingly, it's not loud enough in a band context. I tried this and even when dimed it had a hard time keeping up with the drummer.
-The FX loop has some volume level issues when you are using a delay and want to switch channels. This video illustrates the issue quite well:

At home it's only a minor annoyance, but it rules out gigging with it.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mean the 100w Blackstars dude :lol:
I'm confused by this.

The HT-5's distortion is absolutely fantastic. It sounds like a very big amp, even at low volumes through small cabs.

The clean channel can be sparkly, but it doesn't have much headroom. The overdrive sounds from cranking the clean channel are awesome though.

The HT-20 just didn't "feel" as nice, and got a little harsher on the top end.
I'm still leaning towards the HT-20H. Can the HT-5 drive a 4x12? I'm not in the market to buy another cab.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I'm confused by this.

I'm still leaning towards the HT-20H. Can the HT-5 drive a 4x12? I'm not in the market to buy another cab.
Sure can, and it sounds fantastic. The HT-20 is a great amp btw. My buddy just bought one and he just won't shut up about it :p

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The HT-5H will easily drive a 4x12. Through said 4x12 and with some help from the Multiwave Distortion, Darren was literally shaking Kevan's house out to the driveway.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweetness! It would be for home use mostly, and when the band wants my riffs :rofl: and the drummer is quite abusive. I'm leaning that way based on the clean channel and it has to hold up with a loud drummer when I take it to practice, and I'm looking to just sell the amp or trade it plus some goods. When it comes down to purchase time I can play both and decide which I want :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
It won't really stay clean with a loud drummer. And a good part of that volume was driving the FUCK out of the clean channel with a VERY hot octave fuzz. In ordinary circumstances, you're going to want more than the HT-5 to keep up with a particularly loud drummer.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
my friend just bought a Laney VH100R from a seller I found for him on ss.org... should be getting here in a few days...

also, always thought this idea was cool too

1 - 20 of 22 Posts