Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this as of recently, and if I sell my rig, I'll be north of $3k. That's 90% of tube heads under that price bracket, and then I'd have a ton of room for effects, of which I really only use reverb/delay. I could get a Mark, a Road King, Racktifier, shit, or recto AND a 5150 :lol:
The axefx does have its perks, it's extremely convenient for recording, easy to carry, sounds good, all the effects I'll ever want/need. But it's not the same as a snarling dragon of an amp.
I'm going to the shop Jeff works at Sunday to check out some amps, so that may put the nail in the coffin.
Thoughts?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Just get something that holds its resale value for at least two months before you sell that on too. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
:lol: What Chris said.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just get something that holds its resale value for at least two months before you sell that on too. :lol:
Everything I've bought in the last year I've made money on :lol: I'll only lose money on the axe since I bought it new.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
First the White Whale now this??
thats what i thought.

dont do anything too hasty - what about a good tube power amp to run the axe through to give it that tube thump?

To be honest I'm seriously considering selling my cobra for a mark V mini - to the point where I'm actively trying to find other things to spend my money on, as I've now got my tone to a place I'm really happy with.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Spend less time worrying about your rig, and more time playing it in the setting it belongs (live, rehearsals etc).

GAS can get the better of everyone, but until you use your current rig for what I guess is one of the main intended uses for it, you are changing for the sake of changing. If you then find something missing, that's when you know to do something about it.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 1527M was different - I HATE j craft necks but I took a shot on it because I've always wanted one.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Spend less time worrying about your rig, and more time playing it in the setting it belongs (live, rehearsals etc).

GAS can get the better of everyone, but until you use your current rig for what I guess is one of the main intended uses for it, you are changing for the sake of changing. If you then find something missing, that's when you know to do something about it.
Dickhammer here knows what's up. :twat:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I agree with everything said, however I'd be happy to sell you a Mark V and a Roadster. Because fuck the 5150. And I don't carry it anyway. :rofl:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll bring the axe to try out 4CM, if you'd be so kind as to let me. No Road Kings, Jefffro?

And i have no idea what's come over me lately, I started looking for things because I had a cash surplus after selling the 1527 and now I can't stop.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
I agree with stuh too. I know i'd rgret selling my rig, and instead i recently picked up a super cheap fx unit to play with, and ive been using its 3 band parametric eq to dial in some new tones, and its made me realise a lot of the time its just curiosty for something new, and now anything wrong with your core tone.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Dude you havent even had a honeymoon show with that rig yet.

You have all our rigs, in yours. So use what you have, until you need something else.

I sold my built-to-order head because I got a similar tone from an amp I use for free, and because I used that money for band expenses. Would I buy another? Hell yeah. Do I miss it? No.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
you have the benefit of being able to just swap from one amp to another too. Tired of the 5150 sim? fuck it, start using the Mark 2c+ for a while. get bored of that? use the brown eye sim. try some new patches before selling this if you are genuinely bored with the tones you are getting currently.

BUT, its your money dude.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I'm with these guys. I'm not the biggest fan of the Axe-FX, but it seems you're trading one flavour of the month rig for another to me :shrug:
Keep the Axe, buy a Mark V:25, run it 4CM, rejoice in glorious tone. That, and buy a Mini Amp Gizmo for the Mark.
If you had north of $3K and no rig, I can't think of a time I would recommend the Axe over a meaty tube amp, but now you have, it seems a little foolish to sell it to me.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts