Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lol.

So, im new to this whole "not clocking it at time A and out at time B" thing, but it makes sense. In my new job, Im doing basic computer shit (Network setup, computer maintenance, security setup, etc) for an apartment property management company. Anyways, the bossman wants to get rid of the wireless and connect all the computers over copper. There are 5 offices, all of roughly the same size. In each office there are 3-5 computers, and the offices are maybe 800 square feet tops, mostly smaller than that. Im not doing any plenum or anything, or even running conduit at the moment. Im just running along the corner of the ceiling and down the corners of the walls, and hooking it all into the router/switch, using hammer in wire clips. Since im contracting this, I need work out a rough quote. Im charging an hourly rate, but i need to be able to say "barring any anomalies, this should take X long". How long do you think? No software setup or anything, just running ethernet lines and hooking into a router. I was thinking probably an hour or so, but quoting 2 just to be safe? The places are the size of I mean, the most intense thing i should have to be doing is drilling through drywall and a stud to move from room to room. Does this seem reasonable to you guys? Im not grossly underestimating the wily challenge of ethernet am i?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
estimating goes time goes like this (how long you think) x 2 + 0-50% depending on how much ladder moving you will have to do. You will get in there and it will be a cluster fuck even if it doesnt look like it on the surface.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The nice thing, is im not going into the ceiling. Im literally just running in-room :lol:
So then, if i realisitcally expect an hour.25, that means 2.5+ maybe an extra 45 ish, so call it 3?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
yeah because you have to consider that yeah you are running cable in room but how many desks, chairs, tables, other random shit will you have to move to get your ladder close enough to the edge of the room to run the cable along the ceiling? if they are 100% empty offices then your initial estimate may be good but I'd at least make it 2 hours minimum.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Without seeing the place is kind of tough, but from what you'd described, I'd quote three hours myself to cover any issues that may arise.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thats what i was thinking. The part thats going to take longer than expected? The desk cable runs are IN the desktop :lol: Like, the top of the desktop comes off, the cables go through, and the top of the desktop goes back in. That is not so bad except for, you know, everything on top of the fucking desk :lol:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Ok, thats what i was thinking. The part thats going to take longer than expected? The desk cable runs are IN the desktop :lol: Like, the top of the desktop comes off, the cables go through, and the top of the desktop goes back in. That is not so bad except for, you know, everything on top of the fucking desk :lol:
The last time I had to wire a cluster of offices, there was this one office with this very NICE mahogony furniture... The desk had a solid back, weighed a fucking ton and was floor-to-ceiling. Cable hole came through behind the damn thing :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
After doing the networking/computer thing for quite awhile now, I'm still absolutely horrible when it comes to time estimates :lol:

But I would say three hours as well. The last time I had to run cable it was a pain in the ass. The good thing is to quote a longer time (not too long though) and then come in under it. It's worse to quote a short time, and then proceed to go drastically over, even if there's an unforeseen circumstance.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
4 hours then no joke unless they are going to clean off the desks first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts