Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as you all know, I recently completed my Warmoth Tele build, and this being my first build, I've got a question or two:

The neck's got some bow to it right now, as it's getting used to having strings on it for the first time, I assume, and the truss rod's not dialled in yet. This is resulting in buzzing on the higher frets, even with high-ish action.

How long does this take to settle down?

What's the proper way to adjust the neck during this time?

I've done truss rod adjustments on my other guitars before, but never on a brand new built guitar, and I don't want to mess this thing up.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
I'm no luthier, but it is possible you have a high fret. You can check this by finding some sort of straight edge that touches 3 frets and if it rocks, you have a high fret.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
You could possibly have a high fret.

If you've got some front bow, you could give the truss rod a 1/2 a turn or so to see if it pulls some of it out.

This will lower the action, and you can compensate by adjusting the height of the bridge to remove more buzz.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Samsung-SPHM500 AU-OBIGO/Q04C1-1.17_PRE_1 MMP/2.0)

Yeah, it's not a high fret, I've done the straight edge thing and there's too much relief. Just wondering if I should fix it a bit at a time or just crank it down :lol:
I would just adjust it a little. You can always crank down; it won't really mess anything up, it will just drastically adjust the neck profile.

I've cranked truss rods all the way from one extreme to the other, and I've never had any problems. You may actually still notice a residual effect a few hours later.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I'd go slowly with initial truss rod adjustments. Dunno if the "1/8th of a turn at a time" rule still stands or not. But I'd think it's better off in the long run to do gradual adjustments. Especially since it's a new neck.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Go a little at a time dude. It took me about a week to get mine set up to my liking. Ended up having to shim the nut and let the neck really settle and make small truss rod adjustments here and there. It also initially had a lot of front bow, just as yours did. Now it is friggin sweet. Perfect relief, low action with no buzz at all. Just take your time. I know your exited, but it isn't going anywhere :)

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Samsung-SPHM500 AU-OBIGO/Q04C1-1.17_PRE_1 MMP/2.0)

yellowv said:
Go a little at a time dude. It took me about a week to get mine set up to my liking. Ended up having to shim the nut and let the neck really settle and make small truss rod adjustments here and there. It also initially had a lot of front bow, just as yours did. Now it is friggin sweet. Perfect relief, low action with no buzz at all. Just take your time. I know your exited, but it isn't going anywhere :)
Good to hear :D My nut's plenty big enough (giggity) it's just the bow needing to settle down. :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yep. How else is the wood going to get used to being a guitar neck if you don't leave string tension on it?

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep. How else is the wood going to get used to being a guitar neck if you don't leave string tension on it?
Makes perfect sense, and it's what I figured, there was just a nagging voice in the back of my head saying that I'd read the opposite somewhere, but it likely wasn't a reliable source, or I'm thinking of something else, and asking hurts no one :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.