Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
namm 2011 showed off a lot of companies with their seven string models. I think schecter and ibanez were the main companies in the past that generally supported the seven string.

on top of that, a lot of musicians who're really taking off in their careers are being recognized for their seven strings. even i have already pre-ordered a seven string a couple of weeks ago haha. :p ~

it was something i was considering because i wanted to know what the big deal was, but what really kept me at bay is that i was afraid to try something new. i mean, i am so used to 6 strings and wasn't too sure if my hand would be alright with a bigger beck... on top of that, i have already invested a lot of money in some six string guitars i plan to keep... will this make me play only seven strings if it turns out i like it... a lot?

with that said, what do you guys think? will the seven strings take over? how do the people who still play six strings feel about seven strings? are you thinking of turning over?

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I played sixes, bought a seven for fun, and now only play sevens. For me, the wider fretboard was MUCH more comfortable. I feel like I have to squeeze my hand less to fit the neck in my hand, and that I really like. For me it does get a little harder to play the low be at the 15th fret and up though.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well a lot of people here came from ss.org so I think most people on the forum have at least tried 7 strings in the past. They've definitely become more accepted in the last few years. I've seen loads of local bands using them.
I myself like to mix 6/7/8 depending on the music I'm playing. I love rocking out and jamming on a 6 but prefer the 7 string for more metal stuff and for my own stuff. The change wasn't something that took me too long to get used to, I actually prefer the neck on my 7 to most 6 strings, it's really comfy and I could play it for hours.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I started playing 7 string guitars in 2004, and havent owned a 6 string since... 2007? :lol:
Haven't owned any guitars for about 6 months now :lol:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I started playing guitar in properly in 06, but my first 7 in 07, and havent owned a 6 string since 07 :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
My second electric was a 7. My hands are a little bigger so I find them more comfortable. It's really nice being able to be in B standard with a high E.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I played sevens on and off for a few years. Don't have any anymore. Matter of fact, I play my five-string celloblaster guitar more than I ever played the sevens!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I played sevens on and off for a few years. Don't have any anymore. Matter of fact, I play my five-string celloblaster guitar more than I ever played the sevens!
Thing is, 5 strings tuned in 5ths has about the same range of notes as a 7 string in standard 4ths, though. :lol: You're still ERG'ing it!

·
Banned
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was sort of expecting everyone to have played or owned a seven string because this a metal community haha, but yeah; i am wondering if the seven string guitar will catch on to regular players. i mean, we all seem to play in bands, or take playing guitar really serious here, but how about the normal people who just see it as a simple hobby, and not something more.

i for one and am really excited to get my seven string, but i reaction i read from most of everyones posts... i guess i might end up saying goodbye to a lot of six strings. :(

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
I own both. What the future holds no one knows but I don't foresee 7 strings "taking over" any time in the near, or even pretty distant, future.

They have their place. And legitimately anything you can play on a 6 can be played on a 7 but I take the same approach that Vai & Petrucci seem to. Play a 7 when you need a 7 and play a 6 when you need a 6. :shrug:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Nah, even when I played sevens, I still reached for my sixes too.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I'd be happy if the 7 string got the acceptance among guitarists that the 5 and 6 string basses get among bassists, not so much "Taking over", but being seen by most guitarists as "a legitimate instrument that's not just for nu metal bands from the 90s".

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I'd be happy if the 7 string got the acceptance among guitarists that the 5 and 6 string basses get among bassists, not so much "Taking over", but being seen by most guitarists as "a legitimate instrument that's not just for nu metal bands from the 90s".
:agreed:

This would be swell. I think they have shaken a bit of that stigma but still have a ways to go in the opinions of a lot of guitar players.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I own 3 sixes, 2 are playable :lol: The rest of my axes are 7's, I think I'm up to like 5 of those. I haven't counted lately and they're scattered all over my house.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Once I tried 7's out they just felt more comfortable playing. I prefer playing 7's although for some stuff, like playing old 70's and 80's tunes, it's nice to have a 6er around. They by no means are taking over, I actually thought they were kind of on the decline again amongst players. Some of them switched over to drop tunings and baritones instead of staying with 7's. I believe Andy James did. No matter, it's what I'm happy with now.
I've got 6 guitars....
1 is a JPMM 6er
the rest are Ibby 7's...

·
Banned
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i can see someone doing longer arppeggio runs or being a little more creative with chords, but yeah; like someone stated , basically what can be done on a six can be virtually done on a seven. haha, i dont know what i never thought that to begin with. :p

i guess i sort of saw it in a way of guitars having a certain amount frets. for me, i wont touch anything with 22 anymore. i NEED 24 and sold guitars that had 22 frets.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I've owned eight 7-strings over the years (some for shorter periods than others) and I'm pretty much done with them, at least for the foreseeable future. I switched over to baritone 6, and I greatly prefer it.

·
is totally evil.
88 Posts
I myself find it insanely hard to pick up my sixes after I got my Hellraiser. I have three guitars: a stock 2001 Gibson LP Standard, a custom-made(not to my specifications, just a custom that I bought off of someone else) Benavente strat with a Tele neck, and well, my C-7 Hellraiser.

Admittedly the LP kind of doesn't get much love. It was originally given to me by my father because my Squier Strat got stolen(This Squier was one of the best freaking Squiers ever, I swear. I still miss it) as a temporary replacement until I got a new guitar. He stopped playing later so I still have it. I play Buckethead and stuff on my Benavente because it has a killswitch.

... Getting back on topic, it's pretty hard for me to pick sixes up anymore because they feel like toys - they always felt like toys. Sevens feel juuust right to me. Any guitar can kick ass but I generally go by how it feels in my hands. To each their own.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I've owned eight 7-strings over the years (some for shorter periods than others) and I'm pretty much done with them, at least for the foreseeable future. I switched over to baritone 6, and I greatly prefer it.
Why is that?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts