Metal Guitarist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
So you don't like the Aldrich, either.
Never played one, but if it has that same dry, sterile high end as a Pegasus, I almost certainly would.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I like pickups that have a slightly hazy, slurred high end for the way they sustain, and this was absolutely not it.
:agreed:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Never played one, but if it has that same dry, sterile high end as a Pegasus, I almost certainly would.
I assume you meant wouldn't

It's not what I would call sterile, but it's definitely dry unless you overdrive to a certain point. It's odd though, the point at which it starts to slur happens very rapidly. It's never a breed or something obviously, but it goes from dry to "wet" very suddenly. I find cranking up the treble side of the pickup is a good balance.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I assume you meant wouldn't

It's not what I would call sterile, but it's definitely dry unless you overdrive to a certain point. It's odd though, the point at which it starts to slur happens very rapidly. It's never a breed or something obviously, but it goes from dry to "wet" very suddenly. I find cranking up the treble side of the pickup is a good balance.
That was a little unclear, but I was saying, yes, I would likely agree with the statement Mike made.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Whoa did I miss the memo? We're hating on JBs and vintage 30s now? :rofl:
We've always hated on the JB7 - it's too hot compared with the six-string version. Dave and I always hated on V30s - although we grudgingly admit they sound good in the mix with Rectos - but NO ONE likes brand new V30s. You have to break them in.

Besides, this is MG, where we used to hate on modelers and now everyone uses one. The only rule we have is something must be hated.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ultimately, what would be great is if Wolfe starting offering a stock 7-string Timbre Wolf.

I gotta say, though, that the Pegasus is fantastic on the low B. It sounds like a guitar string should, not like a bass string going through a guitar rig. The main thing with it overall is that it has less compression than any pickup I can remember playing. It gives back exactly what you play--for good and bad. On the plus side, you can crank the master or the level of your drive pedal higher than with something like a JB or Timbre Wolf.

I'm not 100% sold on it, but I'm still going to wait until I have a chance to properly record and mix it--and my next 7-string song in line for development is a little ways off.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I put the Suhrs in the DR7. I think you'll like them better than the Pegasus/Sentient. I do.

Also, Wolfe will make you a TW7. Just hit him up on FB - I think he has all the parts now.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I put the Suhrs in the DR7. I think you'll like them better than the Pegasus/Sentient. I do.

Also, Wolfe will make you a TW7. Just hit him up on FB - I think he has all the parts now.
Thanks. :yesway:

Just what I need, more excuses to spend money on pickups... :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Thanks. :yesway:

Just what I need, more excuses to spend money on pickups... :lol:
Like you need an excuse... :lol:

I'm actually making a comparison clip for you, since I have a Wolfe in the SLS7. I might even finish it before I leave on vacation on Saturday!

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Followup on this thread: I ended up not digging the Pegasus that much in the SL7 for exactly the reasons Drew stated.

I found a used cheap Suhr Hot 7 on Reverb that was already drilled for direct-mount, and it's a huge improvement. Definitely a first choice for 7-string bridge pickups.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Have clips comparing the two? Otherwise, we don't believe you. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
We've always hated on the JB7 - it's too hot compared with the six-string version.
Alright that's fair. I had a JB7 a while ago that sounded good, but it squealed like crazy when I'd play live or at rehearsal and I ultimately had to rip it out.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Came here to say that the 7Hot is a fantastic pickup. Although last time I tried it was maybe 3 years ago? Suhr 7 into a Mesa Triple Crown and Mark V:25 is never going to sound bad is it? :lol: It had a little bit of the 'hollow' thonk I like from the EMG 707 oddly.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Followup on this thread: I ended up not digging the Pegasus that much in the SL7 for exactly the reasons Drew stated.

I found a used cheap Suhr Hot 7 on Reverb that was already drilled for direct-mount, and it's a huge improvement. Definitely a first choice for 7-string bridge pickups.
:agreed: The neck PU from that set is really nice, too.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Came here to say that the 7Hot is a fantastic pickup. Although last time I tried it was maybe 3 years ago? Suhr 7 into a Mesa Triple Crown and Mark V:25 is never going to sound bad is it? :lol: It had a little bit of the 'hollow' thonk I like from the EMG 707 oddly.
I'm assuming it's basically a 7-string Aldrich. It's an overwound Alnico V that just's nice and balanced with nothing weird going on. Tight enough on the lower strings, but also plenty of scream for leads.

:agreed: The neck PU from that set is really nice, too.
Already got my searches set up. :lol:

I could totally live with keeping the stock Distortion-7 in the neck, though. It's a good sound.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I forget exactly ehat the pickups that came in my Suhr were, but I'm about 98% sure they were the 7V and 7+. They were pretty good, but had a LOT of low end. I'm happy with the set I have in their now (PAF Pro and Blaze), but I suppose one day I should toss them back in to try, since I've been really happy with the Thornbucker set in my 6.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts