9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)darren:phone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do we have a corksniffer emoticon?

·
is totally evil.
88 Posts
HTTHAFTHGH?!

*Chokes on his noodles*

Jesus, and people complained about a set of Bare Knuckles and their cost. These things better be like, the pickups that will create the sound that will end the world or something.

Either that or SD thought this would be one hell of a joke, which I'm not laughing...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Wait, this isn't a joke?

Wow, they dropped the resistance of the coils by 5%, congrats. Moar electrons FTW. :yesway:

I've been jabbing at this point for a while now, and this should really be the final eye-opener for those who don't see it this way... but the golden-ear stereophile snake oil has been purposefully and deliberately aimed at the guitarist market.

The first thing was guitar cables from Monster, many years ago, "specially voiced" for your instrument and style. :roll2:

Recently have come more cables from the likes of Cardas, Analysis Plus, and Canare. These are brands that think nothing of charging upwards of $1000/ft of unbalanced analog RCA- or XLR-terminated interconnect cables for hi-fi systems, claiming that you'll hear a sonic difference due to "space-age insulation" or "perfect surface metallurgy" to reject "skin effect" and "back-reflections" in your audio signal. It's all bunk.

There ARE DEFINITE differences in audio quality of cables, but they stem primarily from using 1) quality conductive materials, 2) quality connectors and insulation, and 3) clean and effective construction techniques. These three objectives are not usually met in cheap budget cables for instruments or for stereos, but to promote the idea that exponentially increasing cable costs are justified by an additional tenth of a percent of sonic bliss is pure hogwash. It's not borne out by measurements of transmitted audio signals, and in fact, I have demonstrated exactly the opposite with my dad in our basement using analytical tools. High-end boutique interconnects and speaker wires usually impart purposefully-designed degraded signals that offer a "signature sound" that the marketers convince you through psychological manipulation is "correct" or "better." Often a piece of Romex sounds better than an Audioquest cable.

These pickups probably sound great, just like every other SD pickup does in its own right. But silver wire doesn't mean it's better.

It's all marketing, and every single bullet point on that "technical summary" is either an outright lie or a totally overblown detail that does not offer the purported benefit implied by the marketing language.

I'm sure nobody here is simultaneously stupid and rich enough to purchase a set of these, but I hope this calls to light how deeply-entrenched this product is when it's coming from one of the biggest names in guitar gear. SD has bit the bullet and decided to try to fleece the community through either their own foolishness or outright greed.

They won't be getting another penny of my money while they continue to peddle snake oil.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
So, SD decided to fleece the cork-sniffing collector market, good for them :yesway: Real players realise it's bullshit, but people willing to drop $50k+ on a 50's guitar that'll sit in a display case because they believe the tone is measurably better than a brand new guitar (not that they'd know as they can't play anyway) will probably buy them by the bucketload. You know what that means? More profits for SD, so more money for R&D into products for us. Yes, there'll be a lot more money in a directors pay packets, but they'll still put some back into the business.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts