Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
One of my all time favourites! Discovering his stuff at age 14 was just mind-altering...:)

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I'm actually a bit of a fan, too. I think "Cello Song" is just gorgeous. :yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
I'm actually a bit of a fan, too. I think "Cello Song" is just gorgeous. :yesway:
You're not wrong :yesway:

As I said to Soopahmahn on his profile, Nick Drake's one of those once-removed influences of mine, in that I've never listened to much of his stuff until people remind me to check him out, but he was a huge influence on a lot of my big influences (Jeff Martin/The Tea Party especially).

I mean, listen to this:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Dethphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I first heard Pink Moon on a Volkswagen commercial. (VW's agency was placing some amazing musin in their ads in the mid- to late-90s.)

Fingerstyle folky stuff isn't usually my thing, but I found his vocal delivery really compelling. In fact, I thought he was a black dude from the southern States... Pink Moon has sort of a laid-back bayou feel to it. I was surprised to learn he was a pasty white English dude, and sad to learn he was already dead. :(

Cello Song is definitely one of my faves.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me too about the VW commercial, Darren. Probably the best thing a commercial has ever done for me.

Drake's fingerstyle is really intricate, yet manages to sound basic. I'm a pretty good fingerpicker and it's my favorite way to play acoustic, but with the time signatures and patterns he uses, it's impossible to follow. To the listener, however, it's all very organic. I hope to figure out some of his tricks, which I'm sure he didn't even put all that much through into.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Well ultimate-guitar for one. Watch the little Nick Drake documentary floating around youtube. His main things were alternate tuning(like Hedges, more like Hedges like Drake!), and strong finger-picking, not the light sort of floating picking, but percussive, like in River Man. There are stories that he would just play his songs for hours and hours to make them perfect. His attack is so clear, and crisp. Like Cello Song. That song is ridiculous to play at record speed. And to sing over it? No way for me. Plus my voice is more baritone/tenor range..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts