Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might as well post this for the MG'ers too, be warned it's a LONG one. The IR is at the bottom for those who want to skip the essay.

Hey guys, my friend and I are a little late to post these but are excited to finally show you our new Zilla Fatboy cabs! Pics first:

Specs:
-Fatboy 2x12
-V30/H75 Creamback
-Yellow/Black on Green
-Black Piping
-Black Grille Cloth
-Stereo Jack (16ohm mono, 4ohm mono, 2x 8ohm stereo)
-Inverted "Zilla" logo

A little backstory on these cabs, I originally contacted Paul at Zilla in late 2010 about getting the yellow cab you see above put together. What with the overseas shipping being a struggle combined with poor timing financially, I chose to hold off until this past June when I was able to finally manage ordering one along with good friend Dylan, and received them mid-July. Also worth noting, throughout the process, Paul mentioned that we were the first two official customers in the US and that our two cabs were part of a special batch of four being made and shipped here with near identical specs, the other two belonging to Mark and Jake of Periphery.

Aside from the striking aesthetics, we knew we wanted these cabs to be great for both live use and recording. Thus, we opt'd for the stereo jack, giving you the option of singling out either speaker or running multiple amps into the same cab(great for jamming with others without bringing another cab).

Sound:
For some time now, I've personally preferred the sound of 2x12's to 4x12's for their tighter, more focused sound and inherent ability to cut through a mix. Having experienced your usual 2x12 choices (i.e. Mesa, Orange, Avatar) these Zilla's are definitely on a tier above. The overall sound of these cabs is just more balanced and rich sounding than other makes I've tried/owned. This is due in part to the combination of speakers we chose, with the V30 bringing the clarity and cut we're all familiar with, and the H75 blending in a thicker low end, warmer mid-range, and chimey top end that is particularly great for clean and mid-gain tones. Though with less bass than a 4x12, the low end from these is still "big" sounding but with more emphasis on the lower mid-range giving greater punch and is especially noticeable with lower tunings where you want the frequencies to be more guitar-oriented.

I believe they are trying to get small batches sent over to the US periodically now, for more info contact them at [email protected]

We couldn't be happier with these cabs and highly recommend you check them out if you get the chance. You can expect excellent build quality, tons of options, and great communication from the guys at Zilla, all for a great price!

P.S. As a special gift to you fellow Axe-Fx II users, I'm including an IR below of the Creamback mic'd up with a vintage Shure Unidyne 545. Enjoy!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr9rqifc1ieio74/Zilla H75 Unidyne.syx?dl=0

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Why are people spending so much money on importing simple sealed wooden boxes? :lol:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Why are people spending so much money on importing simple sealed wooden boxes? :lol:
:lol: I don't Think I'll ever drop more than $450 on a cab again.

But happy NGD dude! You guys look like some happy campers.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
It's not very often that something comes up in a thread that piques my interest, but in this case, something did.

I'm almost damn sure I can get not 1, but two outdoor plant arrangements with these. What are some good plants/flowers you would suggest?

I put them on craigslist just to get them the fuck out of here, but you have changed my mind.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The guy on the right has a lanyard with something hanging off of it. He must be really important!

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Dayum! The gloves are off. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Nine posts, and they have a big dissertation on custom cabs, a Periphery mention and suck-up, and a link to some modeling bullshit they probably stole from Misha. How you can say not to be dicks, dude, this is what we do! :lol:

Reactions: HaGGuS
1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.