Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, playing with the setup of my UV last night, I was reminded that it seems the profile of the OFR is ever so slightly flatter than that of my UV's fretboard - if I set the action up based on the low and high strings, then my D string and G strings buzz. Logical solution - shim them up a bit, to get the radiuses in line.

So, anyone done this before? What do you use for a shim material? I'm thinking a soda/beer can cut to size (probably PBR, in honor of Donnie and Shannon) is probably the way to go, but has anyone done this before?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've just used the brass Floyd made saddle shims.
I can see if I can dig some up if you want

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I've used aluminum foil, folded over itself. Does the trick, also works well as an impromptu nut shim.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I second aluminum foil. It's super thin, so you can control the shim thickness to a very fine degree by folding it on itself.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I used the premade saddle shims as well, but I'd probably use foil if I had to do it again, just to be more economical :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's actually a really good idea, and much easier to work with than beer cans. :yesway:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts