Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a question on eGay regarding a drum module I have for sale, asking if I'd ship to Austria. I'm not opposed to shipping overseas, but I am wary. I responded saying I might ship there, but obviously he'd pay full shipping, as well as all import fees, but I also said that if I did ship overseas, I'd want to be paid Western Union so I didn't get fucked as soon as it left my possession, or if he felt it was taking a little too long, open up a claim, etc.

1: Do you think this is fair?
2: Is there any way to get fucked by Western Union? Once you have the money, it's yours right?
3: Any idea how much it would be to ship a drum module to Austria? It's about a foot long, 6 inches wide, 3 inches tall, doesn't weigh much.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
I just had a question on eGay regarding a drum module I have for sale, asking if I'd ship to Austria. I'm not opposed to shipping overseas, but I am wary. I responded saying I might ship there, but obviously he'd pay full shipping, as well as all import fees, but I also said that if I did ship overseas, I'd want to be paid Western Union so I didn't get fucked as soon as it left my possession, or if he felt it was taking a little too long, open up a claim, etc.

1: Do you think this is fair?
2: Is there any way to get fucked by Western Union? Once you have the money, it's yours right?
3: Any idea how much it would be to ship a drum module to Austria? It's about a foot long, 6 inches wide, 3 inches tall, doesn't weigh much.
He pays for fully tracked, fully insured shipping.
money via band transfer, avoid western union, they'll just charge. buyer to pay fees
Paypal is easier by the way, just make sure you ship fully insured and tracked, that way, you're covered, so is he :)
Import duties to be paid by buyer

If he asks for it to be underinsured, you will need to let him know that in that case you will NOT be liable if it turns up broken. Underinsuring is a risk people take to pay less import, but, when i do it, i fully realise i have no comeback if goods arrive damaged, as i asked for the underinsurance.

In the case of underinsurance, fed-ex, and packaged like a tank btw ;)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Paypal is easier by the way, just make sure you ship fully insured and tracked, that way, you're covered, so is he
Sorry, but personal experience tells me it does not work this way. None of the major shippers will track through customs, and PayPal tells you it is the responsibility of the seller to insure that the owner gets the item. If the buyer doesn't get the item and opens a dispute, PayPal will rule in their favor every single time. It happened to me, and they told me that without a tracking number inside the country, they won't even listen to what the seller has to say. I got burned, and burned bad.

The ONLY way to sell outside of the US and Canada is bank transfer, wait (around seven days) for it to clear, and then ship. Otherwise, don't sell it.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know Paypal would be easier, but it's a matter of trust. If I'm shipping overseas, he could open up a Paypal claim as soon as it shipped and is out of the country and there's nothing really I can do. I mean, if I was selling to anyone on the board I knew then that would be cool, and I would definitely make him insure it and pay all the actual costs.

With Western Union, I believe all the fees get charged to him so I would be good that way, and there's no way for him to do a charge back or anything, at least that I'm aware of.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Bank transfer is the best way. And the best thing is the money is yours, not belonging to Western Union subject to fees and not held forever as a hostage by PayPal. Get an international bank transfer, and then ship once it has cleared. Other than that the only thing to rememebr is underinsuring to avoid duties is frequently asked but you have to make it clear that if it doesn't turn up or it gets damaged then its his problem, not yours - another reason for a bank transfer over anything else. Western Union makes you look like a Nigerian scammer.

Might sound ridiculous but I find it's best to to speak to people rather than email or whatnot for things like this, it's certainly how I sold my K7 in the end.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Other than that the only thing to rememebr is underinsuring to avoid duties is frequently asked but you have to make it clear that if it doesn't turn up or it gets damaged then its his problem, not yours - another reason for a bank transfer over anything else. Western Union makes you look like a Nigerian scammer.
The best policy is to flat out refuse. Ship fully insured, or not at all, and make that known up front. Custom duties in their country is not your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts