Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Think it's more to protect tube gear while being transported.

There's a pretty big difference in price if you look around really between brands/type's. Can't say the descriptions found online justify the difference in price.

·
18,790 Posts
I had an ATA flight case for my bass rig, which was absolutely overkill, especially as I never brought it on a plane :lol: But I felt absolutely secure about my gear, and never once had even an inkling of dread that my gear might be damaged (well, there was one show, but that was down to the humidity of the room, which was causing literally everything in the room to be dripping wet, not fun).

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Shock racks are great for that almost complete piece of mind. While I've never had a major accident, my rack has gotten it's share of being bumped and shoved around. Mike actually dropped his off a loading dock, and it did nothing to the gear inside.

I cannot speak to the SKB, since I have no experience with it. I do have experience with SKB in general, though, and I think their stuff blows. TKL is a much better company. Personally, I have a Mesa, but it is no longer in production.

You can see that everything gear it mounted to is mounted to a suspension system. The eight holes in the bottom of the rack are where I removed the rear shock supports for the back of a power amp. If you can find one of these used, grab it.

Reactions: 1

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Good luck finding one, since they were all made to order. You'll have to comb the used market.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also, if you find one, good luck carrying it anywhere :lol:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Does shockmount matter for live/gigging gear?

Also, I want something like this:
SKB Rolling Roto Shock Rack Case 6U 20" | Caseman Shipping Cases
but... why the hell is this 600 bucks?

Anybody know where to get them at a more reasonable cost?
The molded plastic shock mount cases are a lot more expensive than wood ones, but they also weigh a lot less. I had a 4u shock mount case that weighed about 35-40 lbs unloaded. I ditched that pretty quick, especially once I fucked my wrist up.

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The molded plastic shock mount cases are a lot more expensive than wood ones, but they also weigh a lot less. I had a 4u shock mount case that weighed about 35-40 lbs unloaded. I ditched that pretty quick, especially once I fucked my wrist up.
WOW. Ok, yeah, plastic it is.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I meant I fucked my wrist up doing other shit and the case was literally painful to carry :lol: Not that the case fucked my wrist up :lol:

Still, if you have the coin to spend, go with the plastic cases.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I meant I fucked my wrist up doing other shit and the case was literally painful to carry :lol: Not that the case fucked my wrist up :lol:

Still, if you have the coin to spend, go with the plastic cases.
Rotomolded plastic is fucking tough. It's what they make kayaks out of. There are still process, design and chemistry issues that can defeat that quality and make a shitty case, but I fail to believe that a good Gator, SKB or TKL case is going to (normally) break on you, and I believe they have foam sandwiched inside to absorb shock. Or they should.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I get the impression you don't have a rack just now. Do you know what sort of catastrophically heavy weights you're letting yourself in for? :lol:
:agreed:

Keep it small and light. Otherwise it will add up like nothing else.

For a while I used a wooden 4U Grundorf rack case with a 15-lb Eden WT400, a Furman, and a tuner. The fucker was ridiculously heavy, like in the sixty pound range.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
:agreed:

Keep it small and light. Otherwise it will add up like nothing else.

For a while I used a wooden 4U Grundorf rack case with a 15-lb Eden WT400, a Furman, and a tuner. The fucker was ridiculously heavy, like in the sixty pound range.
And that's the thing. While Eden stuff is particularly heavy :)lol:) if you're running a power amp and a preamp alone it'll weigh about as much as a normal guitar amp. On top of that you have the rack, the metal enclosures, etc. etc., and if you're using effects and floorboards as well...it adds up quickly.

Can't remember who it was (maybe several people?) have used dual-rack setups; i.e 2x4U setups. One contains wireless, preamp and any effects, the second contains the poweramp. More to carry but less at one time, and it's quick and easy to set up still.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Eden CABS are particularly heavy. 70 lb 2x10 anyone? :erk:

Eden amps are lighter than a lot of the other class AB solid state heads like GK's RBs and Ampeg's crappy solid state SVTs. Although with Markbass/GK/TC Electronic/Ibanez's new Class D ultralight amps, 15 lbs seems like an awful lot :lol:

Also, I think it was Roger who had a 6 or 8U case for preamp and wireless/fx/other stuff to scoop his mids, and a separate 2U power amp rack. Makes hauling much easier, since those 2:90s and other big tube block amps are seriously heavy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts