Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Sounds really nice to me. Double it left and right and it will sound very lush and full, I think.
Yes it will. Well, pan this one hard left, and record another take and pan it hard right. If you played it pretty close, it should be pretty rad (I think that's what you were saying? Sorry if I totally copied you). As far as placement, try placing the mic by the sound hole, but slightly off-axis (this will roll off the low end, so long as it's a cardioid microphone). But honestly, that sounds pretty nice. I'm diggin it. As me and some of the other sound guys that I work with say: It sounds like an acoustic guitar :yesway:

By the way, props on having Logic. I wish I could afford it (I don't even own a mac). I use it at work. Pretty spiffy stuff.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I really liked the tone and your playing is great :agreed:

I would try an over the shoulder placement as well so it will sound more like you hear it when you play it :2cents:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the sound of Seagull acoustics :yesway:

Sounds really nice to me. Double it left and right and it will sound very lush and full, I think.
Yes it will. Well, pan this one hard left, and record another take and pan it hard right. If you played it pretty close, it should be pretty rad (I think that's what you were saying? Sorry if I totally copied you). As far as placement, try placing the mic by the sound hole, but slightly off-axis (this will roll off the low end, so long as it's a cardioid microphone). But honestly, that sounds pretty nice. I'm diggin it. As me and some of the other sound guys that I work with say: It sounds like an acoustic guitar :yesway:

By the way, props on having Logic. I wish I could afford it (I don't even own a mac). I use it at work. Pretty spiffy stuff.
I really liked the tone and your playing is great :agreed:

I would try an over the shoulder placement as well so it will sound more like you hear it when you play it :2cents:
Some great ideas, thanks guys! What do you guys recommend for additional mics? Small diaphragm condensers? Right now I just have the one B1, which is a large diaphragm, single pattern mic.

I think was thinking of these:

C4 - Small-Diaphragm Matched Pair Microphones

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
That would actually be a not-so-bad idea. They have the bass roll off switches, so that helps a bit. Also try setting those up as a coincident pair (go to this site. They explain it about a third of the way down), where the very center of the 2 mics would be just in front of the the last couple of frets, where the body of the guitar starts. That could produce a pretty radical stereo effect as well.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would actually be a not-so-bad idea. They have the bass roll off switches, so that helps a bit. Also try setting those up as a coincident pair (go to this site. They explain it about a third of the way down), where the very center of the 2 mics would be just in front of the the last couple of frets, where the body of the guitar starts. That could produce a pretty radical stereo effect as well.
Cool, I will check that out. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
If anything, it sounds a little TOO thin on my end. It's not bad at ALL, though. I think I'd like to hear this doubled, as well, a second mic in a slightly bassier position would probably do the trick nicely (for the fingerpicky stuff you might want two mics to record stereo, for strummy stuff if you're careful you can probably do one, listen to Trains for inspiration).

This is pretty sweet though, dude, both the playing and the tones. :)

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
I'm sure there's a lot of videos on youtube about this, but this one's been on my main page for a few days now... He goes over microphone placement and such for much of the video with sound samples. It might help you find what you're looking for.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If anything, it sounds a little TOO thin on my end. It's not bad at ALL, though. I think I'd like to hear this doubled, as well, a second mic in a slightly bassier position would probably do the trick nicely (for the fingerpicky stuff you might want two mics to record stereo, for strummy stuff if you're careful you can probably do one, listen to Trains for inspiration).

This is pretty sweet though, dude, both the playing and the tones. :)
Thanks Drew! You're right, it may be a little too thin, so the twin mic thing looks like the way to go. I think I was so boom-phobic that I positioned it too far from the lower body, which may have sacrificed too much low end. With a second mic I can gain some of that back hopefully by mixing it in a bit. Trains is my ideal acoustic tone, for sure. Steven does a great job on acoustics.

I'm sure there's a lot of videos on youtube about this, but this one's been on my main page for a few days now... He goes over microphone placement and such for much of the video with sound samples. It might help you find what you're looking for.

YouTube - Recording Acoustic Guitar Microphone Techniques Dustin Prinz Music Lesson Tutorial
thanks for posting that Buzz! I'll be checking that out tomorrow morning.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds great to me Jeff, I'm rather impressed by the sound of that Studio Projects mic. You doing any post processing on there? I second the idea of doubling it, should sound even better :yesway:
Just a little bit of reverb; no eq. One of the mistakes I used to make early on was going nuts with reverb on acoustic tracks, which made it sound like I was playing in a cave.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

YouTube - Recording Acoustic Guitar Microphone Techniques Dustin Prinz Music Lesson Tutorial
He gets good tones, but I'm wondering; how does he avoid phase issues with mixing the direct and the mic? I thought that would jack things up due to the slight timing difference.

Also, I not only would love to try the dual mics up front, but also the over-the-shoulder deal too. But I thought that would cause phase issues too. Any one have thoughts on this?

If it's not an issue, I would love to get a pickup added to my Seagull, because I really dig that mixed tone, as well as having other uses for it too.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
If you observe the 3:1 rule, then that should minimise any phase problems you'd have doing the multiple mic thing. Best way is just to try it out though, if it sounds good then phase be damned! :lol:

I don't record my acoustic terribly often, the most I've ever experimented with is two SDCs in an XY setup in front of the guitar, so I'm curious to hear the differences using an over the shoulder placement. :yesway:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Shikaru said:
If you observe the 3:1 rule, then that should minimise any phase problems you'd have doing the multiple mic thing. Best way is just to try it out though, if it sounds good then phase be damned! :lol:

I don't record my acoustic terribly often, the most I've ever experimented with is two SDCs in an XY setup in front of the guitar, so I'm curious to hear the differences using an over the shoulder placement. :yesway:
3:1 rule?

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
Ah, it means you place the second mic 3 times the distance from the first mic that the first mic is from the source. So in this case if you're first mic is 1ft from your guitar, you make sure the second mic is 3ft away from the first. I don't know the technical theory behind this rule, but it seems to work :lol:

Edit: In fact, here's a much more detailed (and better) explanation than I gave: http://www.recordingeq.com/articles/321eq.html

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Shikaru said:
Ah, it means you place the second mic 3 times the distance from the first mic that the first mic is from the source. So in this case if you're first mic is 1ft from your guitar, you make sure the second mic is 3ft away from the first. I don't know the technical theory behind this rule, but it seems to work :lol:

Edit: In fact, here's a much more detailed (and better) explanation than I gave: http://www.recordingeq.com/articles/321eq.html
Oh I do remember that now, thanks. I should probably write it down this time!
I wonder how that works with the piezo to DI. Clearly it works, because that guy in video does it with success.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.