Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short demo of Dimarzio Steve's Special & Air Norton using one of Lee's many JPM100's

While I was in possession of Lee's P3 for a fret level back in the summer, I took the opportunity to do a real Dream Theater-esque track with it to try out the Steve's Special. I sat on this video for so long I forgot I'd done it until Lee reminded me the other day! It's incredibly short, but you get the point.

It's made all the more Dream Theater-y by Lee's nimble fingerwork on the keys. What a sexual deviant that boy is.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
I thought you were going into the Astonishing at the end there...

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, this was a fun one to do!

Sick playing, and Lee wasn't half bad either. I'm curious, what are your thoughts about them?
Well, I noticed immediately after plugging the guitar in for the first time that it's very Petrucci. I know that's painstakingly obvious as it's his signature model guitar and pickups, but that doesn't necessarily always mean you're going to hear any similarities right out of the gate. It has that tight crunch that he's known for, great clarity.

Either that or it's all just one big placebo effect from the fact that I knew it was his signature guitar and pickup, and had massive preconceptions which made me play a bit like him :lol: One or the other...

·
Banned
835 Posts
Lol that's such an old fashioned British phrase, funny to see it coming from a non-Brit.
Bulgarian schools do teach British English, but I always thought that was just a stoic phrase from the 50s. :flex:

I don't know how often you play rock keyboards, but you definitely have the restraint to do it.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bulgarian schools do teach British English
alright me ol' china mug, up the apples 'n pairs, and don't fall arris over thrupney bits or you'll damage ya boat race, spillin' claret all over the shop.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Posting so I remember to listen later.

And now, in time-honoured MG.org tradition:

Lol that's such an old fashioned British phrase, funny to see it coming from a non-Brit.
These furriners are using unethical means to learn our sacred language, the Queen's English!

Get a load of this geezer:

Soon, their speech shall be indistinguishable from ours!

:quite:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Ha ha, my girlfriend showed me that one the other day (she's a Geordie)

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
I don't know how often you play rock keyboards, but you definitely have the restraint to do it.
Eh, this was just me jamming poor man's versions of DT riffs over Matt's fucking excellent DT style riffs. If it sounds good to us non-key players, that's cool, but in isolation they're terrible, and quantize is really what keeps my head just about above the water.

I don't know how closely this will match up with Matt's take on it, but here's how I heard what he did in this:

First riff - Overture 1928 style
Second riff - Strange Deja Vu style
Third riff - Take The Time style
Fourth riff - Pull Me Under style
Fifth riff - Overture 1928 style

I just copped key parts in the style of the relevant bits of those tracks, plus the Surrounded arpeggio on the end.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, something like that! Though it wasn't that thought out. It was more a case of just sitting with the guitar and letting the riffs come out. If they were Petrucci-esque, they stayed. I'm not a big enough DT fan to know their back catalogue that intimately really, so it was just a case of copping Trooch's style in a broader sense.

·
Banned
835 Posts
alright me ol' china mug, up the apples 'n pairs, and don't fall arris over thrupney bits or you'll damage ya boat race, spillin' claret all over the shop.
After urbandictioinary'ing all that, the gist of it can be accurately decyphered by assuming the speaker is mortally drunk and the whole meaningful part is in the first partial sentence. As always. "alright me ol' china mug" is obviously a term of endearment, so it doesn't count. It does not mean the person is endeared to you, however. This is Britain we're talking about, everyone politely hates each other. "Up the apples' pairs" is obviously a reference to stairs, because it rhymes and what else would you go up? And like I said, just assume the person is drunk.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well to be fair I threw in some expert-level shit right there, double-meaning cockney rhyming slang.

"arris" = short for Aristotle = rhyming slang for "bottle" = "bottle and glass" = "arse" (ass/butt/bum/backside). So "arris" becomes "arse"
"Thrupney bits" = tits. "Arse-over-tit" is a phrase that means you fell over.
"Boat race" = face
"Claret" = a Bordeaux wine, red in colour, so is used by Londoners to mean 'blood'. But they don't pronounce it the French way. It's with a real heavy T ending (though they don't sound the T) Like saying "carrot"
"All over the shop" is general UK slang for "everywhere"

This is what happens when you're in a band with a Londoner. I didn't understand a fucking word he said for the first year, and we're from the same rough area of the fucking country.

·
Banned
835 Posts
London has always baffled me with having several regional accents originating in the same city. Don't those people ever leave their neighborhood?

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
This is what happens when you're in a band with a Londoner. I didn't understand a fucking word he said for the first year, and we're from the same rough area of the fucking country.
Londoner's are easy to understand, it's Glaswegians that are impossible.

London has always baffled me with having several regional accents originating in the same city. Don't those people ever leave their neighborhood?
Because so much is packed into such a small space, Londoner's traditionally didn't travel that far within the city. Especially if it meant crossing the river, you'd have more chance of persuading them to go to another country than do that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts