Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
The PRS Custom line is a lot more hit or miss than it was in the early 90's, well, even the mid and late 90's. I don't think I've picked a single one up in a Guitar Center in the past few years that has done anything for me.

Do you have a chance to play it, or would this be a "sight unseen" type of purchase?

As much as I like Caparison, and I own three, I would take a PRS Custom with that "mojo" over one any day of the week.

I used to be a big PRS fanboi way back in the day, so I might be a little biased!

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
luckily i have access to a decent range of PRS guitars so i suppose i should go and try a few out.

·
Resistance is Futile
199 Posts
I would also take a PRS over a Caparison. My buddy owns 5 Horri, 2 Dellinger's, an Angelus and he also use to own a TAT. Caparison's are great guitars, but the build quality isn't very consistent and they are a little over priced for what they are IMO.

You should try a few PRSi first before you sell your Dellinger because they might not be your cup of tea.

I can't say anything about Custom 24's, but I played a Modern Eagle and a Custom 22, and I thought they were amazing. I preferred them over any Caparison I played.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Caparisons never struck me as anything more than an overpriced J-Custom or ESP. Nice, but not worth the money, IMO. PRS would be a good direction to go, if you like the feel.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
I had several Caps and several PRS. I would take the PRS over the Caps any day of the week. Much more consistent quality.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'll go and try the custom 24's they have in my local guitar store at the weekend and make up my mind.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
If you're not attached to the Caparison, I'd ditch it.

Edit: That said, if you don't have to sell a guitar, don't!

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Caparisons never struck me as anything more than an overpriced J-Custom or ESP. Nice, but not worth the money, IMO.
For what they were going for a few years back, they were worth that particular price point. My TAT II pretty much slays any other guitar I've got around here, and I paid pretty much exactly what I should have for it. I would say it is comparable to a Soloist price-wise, but it kills any one I've played. It is an absolutely fantastic guitar.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're not attached to the Caparison, I'd ditch it.

Edit: That said, if you don't have to sell a guitar, don't!
to drop 2k on a prs custom 24 the caparison would have to go!

also i enjoyed it while i had it but its not something i can see myself playing as much as i get older and a PRS i would keep forever along with my ESP Horizon.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
and a PRS i would keep forever along with my ESP Horizon.
Put it this way: The one guitar I'll never, ever sell is my '96 PRS Custom 22, that I got brand new. I can't believe I've had that guitar almost 15 years now.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Put it this way: The one guitar I'll never, ever sell is my '96 PRS Custom 22, that I got brand new. I can't believe I've had that guitar almost 15 years now.
Same here. I bought a SAS "just" before PRS started messing around with the specs on them. People warned me to pick one up if I was in the market. Plenty of rumors and speculation arose about how the company was letting inconsistent builds slip through. Also they were discontinuing their CE line, and that the SAS was possibly going to be next. So I'm glad I listened to them and took the plunge when I did.

Fast forward to about 3-4 years ago. At the time I was looking for a Custom 24 , so I went to a local independent dealer who carries a large selection of PRS. Each Custom 24 they had on display sounded completely different. And mostly not in a good way. Not sure if it was a bad batch of them or what. But some of them sounded really thin, almost nasal with the bridge pickup soloed. The other thing I noticed was that the finish seemed to be a lot thicker than on my SAS. I'm guessing they're just getting gtrs out quicker to the stores because of demand. So the attention to detail probably isn't as great as it once was. Unless perhaps you're buying Private Stock...or one would hope at those prices.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does this mean I can have my Caparison back? :D
If you want to give me £1450 for it bearing in mind its in brand new condition and has bkps and will come with the origional cap pickups included also :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Same here. I bought a SAS "just" before PRS started messing around with the specs on them. People warned me to pick one up if I was in the market. Plenty of rumors and speculation arose about how the company was letting inconsistent builds slip through. Also they were discontinuing their CE line, and that the SAS was possibly going to be next. So I'm glad I listened to them and took the plunge when I did.

Fast forward to about 3-4 years ago. At the time I was looking for a Custom 24 , so I went to a local independent dealer who carries a large selection of PRS. Each Custom 24 they had on display sounded completely different. And mostly not in a good way. Not sure if it was a bad batch of them or what. But some of them sounded really thin, almost nasal with the bridge pickup soloed. The other thing I noticed was that the finish seemed to be a lot thicker than on my SAS. I'm guessing they're just getting gtrs out quicker to the stores because of demand. So the attention to detail probably isn't as great as it once was. Unless perhaps you're buying Private Stock...or one would hope at those prices.
PRS have been that way for as long as I have been selling them - like Gibson they are wildly inconsistent. Any customers of mine that were interested in buying one were urged to play it first - I used to book out the sound booth for hours so a guy could play 10 or 15 PRS guitars to get the one he liked the most.

In other workplaces the manager would hate me, but my manager was cool, and he knew what I was doing was right...particularly when one customer bought two Private Stocks. :lol:

To Nick, the only thing I'd say is play them. I don't think you'll like the necks on most, but the thin/fast taper they do is nice, and if you find a guitar that sounds good unplugged then you're onto a winner. But always try them unplugged first! I'm guessing you're heading to Guitar Guitar for this shopping trip?

And, joking aside, I do think a good one will trounce your Caparison. I love Caparison's more than anyone, but we get gouged for them in the UK and the PRS, if it's a good one, will be a better guitar. :)

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
if you are very happy with the Caparison keep it, if not find a shop with the PRS and try it out first.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PRS have been that way for as long as I have been selling them - like Gibson they are wildly inconsistent. Any customers of mine that were interested in buying one were urged to play it first - I used to book out the sound booth for hours so a guy could play 10 or 15 PRS guitars to get the one he liked the most.

In other workplaces the manager would hate me, but my manager was cool, and he knew what I was doing was right...particularly when one customer bought two Private Stocks. :lol:

To Nick, the only thing I'd say is play them. I don't think you'll like the necks on most, but the thin/fast taper they do is nice, and if you find a guitar that sounds good unplugged then you're onto a winner. But always try them unplugged first! I'm guessing you're heading to Guitar Guitar for this shopping trip?

And, joking aside, I do think a good one will trounce your Caparison. I love Caparison's more than anyone, but we get gouged for them in the UK and the PRS, if it's a good one, will be a better guitar. :)
indeed we get screwed for them here but i guess thats good for me as i may be able to sell mine for what i paid for it seeing its in brand new condition and has a set of BKP's to boot

i believe a dellinger will run you a similar figure as a PRS these days

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
at a 50% premium on a PRS custom 24 with a similar spec but not as nice looking. No thanks.

they are still available and dont get me wrong if i had unlimited funds i would own one as they are nice but they arent worth the £3k they run you in the UK :noway:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts