9,388 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I'd rather be off the planet, actually :leon:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Significance is entirely relative. Even in that chart, depending on the scope of what you consider relative, the entire Milky Way galaxy and all of its 400 billion stars are enormously insignificant.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
We may be insignificant now, but I'd like to see what that picture has to say once one of us invents a black hole generator!!!!:scream:

And then again when someone else invents a black hole catapult to send black holes to other star systems!!!!!:scream::scream::scream:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
You know what's scary?

I remember when the global population crossed the 5 billion mark. That was in 1987. And it's projected to hit 7 billion next year.

That's a 40% increase in just 24 years.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
So, if every planet had that many people, and every star had that many planets, you'd be one in 5.6e32. Roughly speaking:

1/560000000000000000000000000000000

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I've always considered myself insignificant, cosmically speaking. :lol: But it is all about frame of reference, so if you re-frame around your day-to-day life, you don't have to feel so pathetic. :flex:

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
The question is: Significant to who? The concept of significance is a human one. Only conscious individuals can apply significance to something, so it's determined by the subjective values of the observer. Size =/= significance. A diamond has significant value compared to much larger objects. A relationship might be very significant to a person, despite having NO measurable size.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The question is: Significant to who? The concept of significance is a human one. Only conscious individuals can apply significance to something, so it's determined by the subjective values of the observer. Size =/= significance. A diamond has significant value compared to much larger objects. A relationship might be very significant to a person, despite having NO measurable size.
In relation to the possibilities that this size can hold.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
i guess my question is, what IS significant? the other 100 billion galaxies are filled with millions of other isignificant star systems, planets, and probably life

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
i guess my question is, what IS significant? the other 100 billion galaxies are filled with millions of other isignificant star systems, planets, and probably life
I would say that significance is a subjective value placed on something by a conscious individual. What has significance to one person may not have significance to another. Significance is an opinion, not a fact.

You can choose to feel insignificant if you wish, but I actually like myself so I'm significant to me. :D

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
:scratch: :confused:
For example, when I consider the mass of my body versus the mass of all other baryonic mass (visible mass) in the universe, I feel pretty small, because:

My mass <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Baryonic mass

Now, considering that baryonic mass accounts for about 4% of the universe:

My mass <^8bajillion Universe mass

That makes my mass rather insignificant in the grand scheme of the Universe.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
For example, when I consider the mass of my body versus the mass of all other baryonic mass (visible mass) in the universe, I feel pretty small, because:

Like I said, size =/= significance. Mass =/= significance.

"Small" and "less massive" have objective meanings as long as we have something to compare to. Obviously I am small and less massive compared to the solar system.

"Significant" does NOT have an objective meaning. Significance only exists when a conscious being places value or meaning in a thing.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts

Yeah, but as I said, that's entirely relative. You could say that baryonic mass is insignificant since it's "only" 4% of the mass of the universe. You're saying it's significant because it's that much more than you, but it depends on your reference point.

I could say that certain bacteria are significant and, to me, they are.

As Stateless said, significance is created and determined entirely by mankind. Are mesons and baryons insignificant? They're a lot smaller than human beings. "But mesons and baryons are all over the universe."

Is size significant? Is role significant? Is rarity significant? All things defined by humans. Humans may find it "sad" that a star exploded and destroyed twelve planets orbiting it, but that-like significance-is entirely a trait of humans.

Significance depends on your point of reference and to what you consider to be significant and what you don't consider to be significant. There could be a googolplex of alternate universes out there and our entire universe and everything in it could thus be considered insignificant.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts