Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel like its a stupid question, but I just want to make sure i'm right.

If a power wire carries 14.4 volts of current, how much does the ground wire carry?
The ground doesn't carry a current...right?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Only if there's a short.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
1) No such thing as a "volt of current." Voltage is potential, amperage is current.
2) In a car stereo where the ground is tied to the frame that it will carry current in the event of a short or an anomalous voltage. Normally, it should carry negligible current.

Reason for asking?

EDIT:
How much voltage would it carry then? The same as the power wire?
A line doesn't carry a voltage. The ground is "zero," and the other wire is "+14.4", so the potential is 14.4V across those two lines.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) No such thing as a "volt of current." Voltage is potential, amperage is current.
2) In a car stereo where the ground is tied to the frame that it will carry current in the event of a short or an anomalous voltage. Normally, it should carry negligible current.

Reason for asking?

EDIT:

A line doesn't carry a voltage. The ground is "zero," and the other wire is "+14.4", so the potential is 14.4V across those two lines.
Gotcha. For employment actually. They know I don't have much knowledge in car audio, but can adapt some of the knowledge I have of other things. I just wanted to at least have the answers to the little quiz in the application.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help, and i'm glad I wasn't completely off. How they ask the question is what threw me off I think. Hopefully i'll be working again very soon, been out of work for 2 months now had my tax money to fall back on, but thats about gone now and things are starting to get a bit scary. :noway:

EDIT
Damn your beyond repute reputation... I cannot add to it. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts