Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve Talks about the new DVD and more

It helps if they can read music or at least have an understanding of it. The opening song on the DVD is in a brisk 25/32 time signature. It's an extremely complex piece but tremendously heavy. When I brought it into rehearsal the music for each part stretched close to 25 feet. Poor Jeremy Colson had a full on anxiety attack. But I knew that they would be able to play it and I'm an expert at rehearsing complex music. We took it piece by piece and gave our patience and our soul quite the work out. The end result is a glorious artistic metal track that is melodic, seamless, entertaining and flows very naturally. The band performs it with fierce confidence.
What the hell song is he talking about here? 25/32? :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Steve Talks about the new DVD and more

What the hell song is he talking about here? 25/32? :lol:
It's an, um, unusual time signature, but the breakdown is always that the top number is the number of beats per measure, and the bottom number is what note duration gets a beat. So, there are 25 32nd notes in every measure.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
OH. :lol: I thought you meant, "what does that mean?" :lol:

Probably a new tune of his. :shrug:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Despite my theory admittedly not being my strong suit sir, I have indeed been playing guitar for almost 20 years now and do, point of fact, have a firm command of the basics. :lol: Thus, feel free to fuck thyself. :wub:

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
^ That is freaking brilliant. That's the best composition I've heard from Vai since The Fire Garden Suite.

Some people don't dig it but I absolutely love Vai's thick complex and off the wall compositions. It's about time he got back around to this.

Maybe we could hope Satch gets some inspiration to return to something a little more insprational than he's been putting out lately as well. :agreed:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Vai definitely is the man. :agreed: My friend sent me that clip that Keith posted a while back and it IS pretty amazing (as usual).

·
Guitarist/The Purge
846 Posts
What's the last album you bought?

SV: Mastodon - Crack the Skye.
:hbang:

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Despite my theory admittedly not being my strong suit sir, I have indeed been playing guitar for almost 20 years now and do, point of fact, have a firm command of the basics. :lol: Thus, feel free to fuck thyself. :wub:
By the beard of methusalem, how old are you?:eek: :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I enjoyed that tour and really like the DVD. It was a nice departure for Vai from the previous band. It's funny, though. The rest of the band has definite 'personality' on stage, and then there's poor Dave Weiner, who looks like a fan who won the "Play A Song With Steve Vai" contest. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts