Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
:agreed: The reissue of Parallels is fantastic. Definitely well worth picking up just for the DVD on there. At least it's a good lesson in how fickle the music biz is.

Also I dig the reverse headstock Soloists that Aresti was using at the time. Especially the one in the "Monument" vid that came out a few years later.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
It's a shame Parallels didn't propel them into more mainstream success. Granted I still prefer the more progressive edge to the band but you can't deny that Jim could write some incredibly catchy metal tunes. As much as I like the follow up, Inside Out, it's sad to see how the production had slipped so much from Parallels. It's like I could just feel the band deflating before my eyes.
Parallels will always be a special album to me much in the same sense as DT’s Images and Words is. It really changed everything for me from an inspirational standpoint. I spent many years wanting to be like Matheos.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
As much as I like the follow up, Inside Out, it's sad to see how the production had slipped so much from Parallels. It's like I could just feel the band deflating before my eyes.
:agreed: Until I saw the documentary that's on the Parallels reissue. I've always assumed that there was a lot of dejection in the Fates camp around that time; because they were watching Dream Theater's career beginning to take off with a major label while they were reaching an apex in their career. But to have A&R support pulled while in the middle of a tour is a pretty hard blow.

Whether or not they didn't have as big of a budget for their follow-up. I thought it was a big mistake on their part to not continue working with Terry Brown. Like you said the production definitely suffers. Soon after that, you had both DiBiase and Aresti leaving the band. I'm sure I wasn't the only one that thought they were finished.

Meanwhile not even 3 months after they released 'Inside Out'. DT releases 'Awake' and we know how that turned out...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts