Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i ask way too many questions on this forum :roll2: but this one is a bit different... so i have really gotten into some lighter death metal recently (cannibal corpse, bloodbath, amon amarth (melodeath i know)) and i am extremely interested in the singing technic. I usually just try singing it under my breath but it clearly isnt loud enough... when i actually start to sing it loud... it just hurts my throat. I know im supposed to sing with my diaphragm but dont really know how to. Any tips

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
stand up straight, fill your lungs/stomach with air.

Sing from your guts, not your throat.

Everyone has a range, you can not sing/growl outside of your range without causing damage. Find the spot where your voice works, do not fuck around outside of that until you have some experience with this vocal style. This vocal style is very loud. If it is quiet, you're doing it wrong. If you are making the sound with your throat, you're doing it wrong. if you are singing with a mic, do not cup the mic with your hands under any circumstance.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
This part is worth repeating. You lose a lot of definition and will make the mic more prone to feedback.
:lol: I would also like to repeat this. Especially considering how many bands I've seen with vocalists who do it. It is a really big no-no. Do not do it. :lol:

Also, like the squid said, do not try growling outside of your range. While you may be able to sing louder than you can growl, you should be able to growl pretty loudly or you're not doing it right.

Above all... practice. :facemelt:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

But what about this vocal... is he just screaming as high as he can or what is going on? really love the song

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I'm sure he's not screaming as high as he can. That's a pretty easy range to scream in. I would HOPE he could scream higher than that if he wanted.

Those vocals are closer to "black metal" screams than "death metal" screams.

For example, this is a lot higher (albeit not extreme metal vocals):

I don't know how to explain that style of vocals in the video you gave, but I find it relatively easy:

(most similar vocals to what you posted are in the chorus)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i didnt mean that screaming as high as he can part that literally but still... i can sort of... now do the low growl things. But to scream like that, not a chance :D

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
i didnt mean that screaming as high as he can part that literally but still... i can sort of... now do the low growl things. But to scream like that, not a chance :D
Can you sing at that pitch? Because if you can, then you should definitely be able to scream like that. If you've never done it before, it might take a little time to get used to it. Someone who's never screamed before will obviously not be able to do it from the very beginning, but you should be able to scream within your range.

I personally find high-pitched screams a lot easier than low-pitched growls.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yup i can sing it at that pitch... just cant add the growl part of it. I have been practising as much as i can on the low growl ( well whenever no ones home :D ) and i sort of can do i. Not NEARLY as guttural as i would like it to be but im getting there. I think the high pitch thing is just the problem of me not putting enough volume behind it because i live in a flat with very thin walls :roll2: i feel like if i would put the volume behind it i could atleast MANAGE to do it.

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy any Melissa Cross DVDs. :lol:
Holy shit, this is an awesome post. I mean, I've been reading posts all right for years, but this brought my post-reading to a whole new level. God, I can't imagine reading posts without having read this one first. I just learned so fucking much from it. It was amazing. Now I can read posts for hours every night and never get tired. My life is changed! Love you, Soops!

TO FIND OUT WHAT THE EVER LOVING HELL DUNCAN IS TALKING ABOUT, SCHEDULE A LESSON WITH RYAN TODAY. YEAH!

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Holy shit, this is an awesome post. I mean, I've been reading posts all right for years, but this brought my post-reading to a whole new level. God, I can't imagine reading posts without having read this one first. I just learned so fucking much from it. It was amazing. Now I can read posts for hours every night and never get tired. My life is changed! Love you, Soops!

TO FIND OUT WHAT THE EVER LOVING HELL DUNCAN IS TALKING ABOUT, SCHEDULE A LESSON WITH RYAN TODAY. YEAH!
What, didn't you see the follow-up? :scratch:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts