Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a position now where my next step should be able to sing the melodies I create(Which are intended to be sung). I've been told the best thing I could do is to take a few singing lessons to get a grip on it, but i can't afford that right now. The funds for it just don't exist. I'm trying to find some videos on youtube for singing, but I'm a little lost on which ones are the best for the basics. My goal is only to be able to sing something well enough for demo quality which someone else will be singing in the final product. I usually come up with melodies first on an instrument, but after working with so many different writers I can see that some of the melodies aren't fit for vocals. Not trying to be a great singer but well enough so I can record a demo, and an A&R will be able to see the bigger picture instead of the vocal melody being a guitar or piano.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See if there are any Jaime Vendera vids on youtube. He's a solid teacher.
I checked out his profile, but I didn't see anything for people just starting. I know everyone has the ability to sing. I'm trying to find my "voice" and not anything thats metal. Just clean vocals to record my demos with

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
There are so many videos on YouTube that you can (and probably will) spend weeks watching them.

It's extremely hard to relate to someone how something feels in your throat, regarding placement and technique. When I say "the upper roof of my mouth, at the front of my soft palate", you can get an idea of where I'm talking about, but you're not picking up on how much pressure is being applied or exactly even where I'm talking about because it's an internal feeling thing.

Your best bet is to just sing what you're trying to sing, record it and keep doing it until it sounds close to what you're going for. The one thing I've learned in the last 10 years of singing in a few different bands is that I was using so much more energy/volume than I needed to. If you're just going for clean singing, do your best to hit all the pitches you're going for right around speaking volume. If you tighten your gut up like you're trying to take a shit you'll find there's some support you can get from there that helps fill out the notes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts