Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Single Coil Hum reduction options

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jim777 
#1 ·
Guys,

I am getting a few more single coil guitars and am looking at ways to cut the 60 cycle hum that doesn't break the bank and will work on all my single coil guitars (will be 5 shortly). So, switching pickups is a no go right off the bat. I have heard the EH Hum Debugger is both great, and that it changes the tone of single coils, so not really sure on that one. It's int he running though. Nady makes a Hum Eliminator (HE-1) that is dirt cheap, but i am not sure that it is meant for single coils but general noise issues. At the moment I am playing straight into the Mk IV clean channel with no effects at all >95% of the time, so lost tone is an important factor.

Anyone using anything or tried something that does the trick without killing pickup tone?

thanks in advance :)
jim

#4 ·
At the moment I am playing straight into the Mk IV clean channel with no effects at all >95% of the time, so lost tone is an important factor.
Wait, you're playing straight into the clean channel of a Mark IV, no effects, and hum is audible enough to be distracting? That sounds like some sort of power conditioning/outside interferance issue. There aren't any CRT screens, faders/dimmers, or neon lights in your room?

#6 ·
I don't hear it when I play and didn't mean to imply that it is currently distracting, but I may be playing out and don't want to be surprised by some neon beer sign in a bar. Also, I am looking for something that I can use with all my guitars, not an additional $250 expense for each and every guitar.

#7 ·
Honestly, in that situation I'd probably just take one Strat and wire it up with good noise-cancelling singlecoils, and then if you happen to get surprised by that neon sign, just rely on that one guitar that night and hope you don't have to fall back on your backup.

Happy to talk about specific models - I actually haven't tried the Area 54 yet (honestly, if you want, you could probably talk me into ordering one just to demo), but I really dug the Area 67 in the neck and Area 61 in the middle that I was using with my AT1 in the bridge for a while. They're remarkably good noiseless singlecoils.

#9 ·
The Strats are now backups to the Telecasters, and with a new (to me) Tele coming in that won't be changing :) I'll just wing it, and if I need to go out and gig I'll just switch to a Jem if it gets noisy. For all I know there's something in the AX8 that would do the trick, but I haven't even looked at that in a few weeks. I might turn that into a Strat or Legacy someday soon lol

#11 ·
Has anyone ever tried that tc electronic noise gate? I think it's called the sentry. Apparently you can do tone print wizardry with it, and dial it in to reduce 60 cycle hum ONLY and not gate any of your tone if you want. Might be worth looking into if you don't have noiseless single coils

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.