Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

While I don't think I'm a pickup n00b as far as humbuckers are concerned (active - passive - that's about it), I don't know much about single coils and their deviations. Are stacks true single coils, or just humbuckers in disguise? What is the sound like, by comparison? Can single coils cancel hum without losing the high end? I'm confused :(.

Help?

caughtinamosh

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have you never played a single coil before?
Oh yes. In my uncle's Strat, and in my Jazz bass. I love the sound - I'm a sucker for bright, chiming tone. BUT, the hum/noise bugs me senseless, and when I have the voume full on both the pups in my Jazz bass, it seems that some of the high end is rolled off. I have no idea why, or what I can do to prevent it, or what stacks are... :blahblah:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
i think people are refering to a humbucker that is sized down into a single coil slot(for the stacked option) such as the duncan hotrails pups

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think people are refering to a humbucker that is sized down into a single coil slot(for the stacked option) such as the duncan hotrails pups
So they are just "humbuckers in disguise" then? I was hoping they were some miracle single coil that SOUNDED like a single coil, but didn't hum :(.

Anyone know anything about RW/RP, and why some treble seems to roll off when both my Jazz bass single coils are at full volume (and the hum is "cancelled")?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
If you want single coil sound minus the hum the closest are the DiMarzio Virtual Vintage and the Kinman pickups. There's quite a few varieties of both so you can pick one that suits your tastes the most.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
yea, just a hum that fits in a smaller slot. as for the treble roll off? Singles are just much more trebly than hums, when you go from a SC to a Hum, your going to notice some roll off because that is just the nature of the beast

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when you go from a SC to a Hum, your going to notice some roll off because that is just the nature of the beast
And that's the whole RW/RP hum cancelling thing? Aw, ok, that makes sense... It's essentially a humbucker by this point.

Yeah,ohio-eric, I was looking at those pickups. The Samarium noiseless set also caught my eye...

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
RW/RP works when you use two single coils together. It acts sort of like a humbucker and cancels the noise.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my buddie had a david gilmour emg pickguard set he dropped in his strat that were pretty quiet
Those are the same pickups that are used on the Pink Floyd Pulse DVD... I'd NEVER have believed such great tone was coming from a set of EMGs...

I suppose the "quiet" factor came from the fact that they were active?

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
i was pretty shocked that emg single coils could make those tones as well. actives are super quiet, they are much more prone to interfearance

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
i mean. well, for example, if your not around a tv or electrical interfearance, they are dead silent, but if your around a crt tv or some heavy electrical wiring, the actives are so sensitive they pick up that interfearance much easier than passives.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i mean. well, for example, if your not around a tv or electrical interfearance, they are dead silent, but if your around a crt tv or some heavy electrical wiring, the actives are so sensitive they pick up that interfearance much easier than passives.
Ah right, OK. That's now clear as... well, a single coil :D.

Just out on interest, now that I'm clear on everything else, what is the hum that single coils are so susceptible to? Is it just general interfearence - 60 cycle hum?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
60 cycle hum is what you are hearing sir.

Reactions: caughtinamosh

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I don;t know thta you need to live with them hum. The DiMarzio Virtual Vintage pickups sound pretty good. I'd suggest giving them a listen.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts