Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might get a SSS Strat like guitar soon (wife will be pissed as soon as she finds out) and even though I want to keep the Mid and Neck Singles for the "Strat Tones" but I really would like to try something else for more Punch on the Bridge side, lets call it the "80's Metal / VH Tone" on the Bridge.

Guitar will be an Alder Body Maple Fretboard (if that matters) and I had one similar (LTD ST 213 FR) that I had a AT1 there and found it a bit to Bright and lacking something for my taste, great pickup lots of clarity but I wanted something else. Replaced it with a ToneZone and got much more Punch out of it especially on the Bass side but as usual the TZ has this kind of flub on the Bass that once we get it its hard to abstract from it. Briefly replaced the TZ with a Black Winter but sold her 2 days later so basically didn't tried anything at all but kinda "unbalanced her"

Hows does the Dimarzio Super Distortion S would compare to the TZ S? Do these S Humbuckers even imitate the real sized Humbuckers in terms of Output? Ideally I would have the TZ warmth but with a bit more Crunch or Gnarl on it, kinda like the Duncan Distortion but not so "powerful" but I dont think theres a Duncan Distortion in S format.

I know without trying them Ill never know, but any hints will be helpful and I know how the Humb sized TZ sounds.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I haven't tried a LOT of the humbucker, single sized remakes from Dimarzio (one of few lines of there's I haven't) but in general, I haven't heard a lot of those from any brand that matches up to the original 1:1. For example, I had a friend I installed an SD L'il '59 for ('59 being a vintage PAF-ish type pickup) and it was INSANE hot and when I put it on the multimeter, it read something like 15k DCR (HOT) plus it was a ceramic mag (vs Alnico 5). It wasn't even close to the same pickup, and I've had similar experiences with stuff like Dimarzio 7-string TZs sounding NOTHING like 6-string (another Alnico 5 vs ceramic remake).

As such, my faith in buying something based on being a remake of the original but in a different format, is VERY low. I'd be more inclined to buy a pickup DESIGNED for that format from the beginning. That said, SD-wise, I'd be looking at a Hot Rails (singlebucker, Maiden) or YJM Fury (stacked single), and Dimarzio-wise, I'd be looking at a BC-1 or Chopper (singlebuckers) or Injector (stacked single, Paul Gilbert model).

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Hot Rails and Chopper are great from Duncan and DiMarzio, respectively.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Injector demos I saw have a certain sound that its not really what im looking for, of course could be the demos, but they seem very "throaty"

Murray uses Hotrails I might try to get one used if the price is right or then will try an Irongear "similar" since they are like less than half price of the Duncan one.

YJM seems very fat Pickups but still with that "Straty Bell like tone"

I also totally forgot I still have the Cruise 187 that I only used as a neck pickup, although its reserved for a Charvel MOD Ill will try it on the Bridge :)

Tks for the suggestion guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts