Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up today as well. Anyone play it yet?

Some games feature emotional stories with complex subtext, well-wrought characters that make us care about their fates, or philosophical implications that give thoughtful players pause. Singularity is not one of those games.

This first-person shooter is all about blasting hideous mutants with shotguns and performing crazy time-manipulation powers. It isn't deep and it isn't pretty--it's just an absolute riot, filled with fun shoot-outs, a few clever puzzles, and an overall kookiness that fans of old-fashioned shooters can rally behind.
Singularity for Xbox 360 - GAMESPOT.com

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Game is fuckin' awesome. It borrows a shitload from HL2 and Bioshock 1, but in all of the good ways. Definitely play this if you liked either of those.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it does remind me of FEAR actually. :yesway: I'm all for games ripping off more popular titles if they do it as well as this game does. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it takes the best part of all of the above and combines them extremely well.

I was hoping for more videos of Mister e99 though. Definitely a Bioshock vibe there. :D

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
That review makes it sound like the FPS version of Ninja Blade. A fun riot of a game that's devoid of plot or meaning but it's cool because it's fun to just kill and destroy every weird demon that appears on screen.

I love games like that :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, it has a pretty awesome plot. Think Bioshock 1, but with Russian scientists. Basically they discover an element that makes them a superpower, and the element has the power to distort time, enabling time travel and big bombs.

You can use the element as a weapon and as a plot piece, to age things, or restore them to their previous state. For example if you come across a set of broken stairs, you can roll back the clock on it to fix it so that you can get to the platform above you. Or, if you come across a dude with a gun, you can age the motherfucker into dust. :metal: It also works on things like crates (so you can get over walls/fences) and as you go along you find old, used up health kits and ammo boxes that you can roll the clock back on to stock up.

There's some pretty awesome scenes. At one point (not really a spoiler) you roll back the clock on a giant cargo ship, and the time "Vortex" or whatever is fragile on the ship because it's so big, so you have to get in and get the fuck out before the effect fails and the ship goes back to being a sunken, rusted out hulk.

It's really quite clever, and you get some badass weapons and abilities, all of which you can upgrade kind of like B1's plasmid setup.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
^ My buddy was actually kinda pissed that when you aged bad guys backwards they didn't turn into fetuses like they originally planned :lol: I'll have to try this sucker out though, looks sick.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
by the way, Chris, I've stared at it for over a minute and I can't make out a fucking thing in that pic you posted above :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
by the way, Chris, I've stared at it for over a minute and I can't make out a fucking thing in that pic you posted above :lol:
The game (so far anyway, about halfway through) looks nothing like that, too. :lol: It was just the first picture that came up on Google.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished it. Game is ace, if a tad short, and a bit too easy on Normal setting. Play it on Hard - it's basically godmode once you get a few upgrades.

Going to rip through it again on Hard and achievement hunt - definitely pick this game up if you're a FPS fan. :yesway:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts