Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I only have a vague understanding of the problem, but I've been following it also. It appears that there are several problems with the paper, and that the author removed the paper from his site, possibly because he intends to correct the issues.

There's a collaborative page with an analysis of the paper here here, and also a blog about theoretical computer science with many interesting comments on the matter - for those of you who are interested.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I just learned about this last semester. Hate :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Consensus is not coming out in favor of the proof.

Jeff
Though it sounds like they think the guy's approach is solid, even if the proof itself falls apart at some point, so he's at least gotten closer. Which is cool.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Drew said:
Consensus is not coming out in favor of the proof.

Jeff
Though it sounds like they think the guy's approach is solid, even if the proof itself falls apart at some point, so he's at least gotten closer. Which is cool.
Eh, a lot of people have gotten close, as far as I understand, but it always falls apart.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
If he has gotten close, at least the != answer still leaves hope for public-key cryptography. I'm not convinced that he got close, especially since a few of the things indicating crackpottery are still present in the paper, but a little more time will help.

Jeff

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
As my father briefly summarised;

It's easy to look over it and go "that's about right, yeah".

It's easy to look at a jigsaw and go "that's about right, yeah".

Critics=/=innovators. :lol:

Still interesting - quite interested to see how this all fans out.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
In mathematics being an *actual* innovator requires being an intensely dedicated critic, among other things. The usual complaints about how movie critics and such couldn't direct a decent film to save their lives are completely irrelevant here - mathematics needs criticism and skepticism like we need air.

Jeff

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
In mathematics being an *actual* innovator requires being an intensely dedicated critic, among other things. The usual complaints about how movie critics and such couldn't direct a decent film to save their lives are completely irrelevant here - mathematics needs criticism and skepticism like we need air.

Jeff
I have skepticism and criticism coming out my ears. I'm also very jaded and with no patience.

Would I make a good mathematician?

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
The lack of patience may be positive or negative, but we will need *informed* criticism. If you can find the error in the following proof, you might have the right kind of skepticism.

Let a = b != 0.
a^2 = ab
a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2
(a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b)
a+b = b
a + a = a
2=1

The right kind of kind, of course, will involve finding a reasoning error. The wrong kind, like what you're used to offering, would be to make fun of the variables or say that I haven't used the letter 'u' enough.

Jeff

·
I like turtles!
722 Posts
The lack of patience may be positive or negative, but we will need *informed* criticism. If you can find the error in the following proof, you might have the right kind of skepticism.

Let a = b != 0.
a^2 = ab
a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2
(a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b)
a+b = b
a + a = a
2=1

The right kind of kind, of course, will involve finding a reasoning error. The wrong kind, like what you're used to offering, would be to make fun of the letters or say that I haven't used the letter 'u' enough.

Jeff
To quote the internet...

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
Perhaps I could have picked a faulty proof that didn't have so many convenient demotivational answers, but considering how long subscripts and superscripts took I wasn't about to wait for integration symbols to make their way into the forum special character list.

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts