Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the 'Slate Everything Bundle for two months free' as part of their recent Black Friday deal and what a buggy POS it is. Most of the great functionality is locked up in the VMR interface which just doesn't work, there's widespread reporting of the VST3 version just plain not working with Cubase for the last 2+ years and no fix, after I figured that out I trashed it and used the VST2 instead.............except that causes random crashes in Cubase (elements 8) when it loads the mixer.

I upgraded to Cubase 10 (kind of thankful that these problems caused me to find the crossgrade for £25), but it still doesn't work with VST3. Trashed that and stuck with the VST2 and hey presto..........a VMR interface with no modules even though they've given me a full licence for all of them. After much dicking around and sending Ilok licences back and forth, the modules appear but with a red error against all of them and a warning of corruption. Checked online and their advice is to re-install, so this time I thought I'd try it without their Gobbler installer and......still the same error.

At this point, I think I'm calling it quits and getting on with actually making music. Don't get me wrong, the Slate Digitial stuff is phenomenal and I probably would have considered their subscription model after the trial ran out, but I just haven't got any more time to waste on software that's clearly not resilient enough for widespread release. Once you start searching these errors online, there is a huge amount of people who have encountered the same issues and no real solutions being found.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Beside all this, does cubase 10 work for you? I bought the upgrade last week, loaded it up, only to find that when i dragged midi into a midi track, that the editor didn't display it, but it still played, so I haven't loaded it up since :/

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beside all this, does cubase 10 work for you? I bought the upgrade last week, loaded it up, only to find that when i dragged midi into a midi track, that the editor didn't display it, but it still played, so I haven't loaded it up since :/
So far so good, it opens CB8 projects, and everything plays back fine. I've captured single track DI'S and done slip editing with no problems. Expecting to do some audio to midi conversion via Trigger later today so I'll let you know if anything gets screwy on the midi front.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I've always had this impression that the guys at/behind Slate are kind of dicks - weren't they the ones behind that YouTube fraudulent copyright protection claim, because they didn't like someone's review?

Anyway, if you're in the market for more plugins, the one I've been abusing the living fuck out of and running on almost everything is the Sonimus Burnley73 EQ. Loose Neve re-creation, very musical sounding EQ, and a great saturation plugin, to boot. I'm just wrapping up a folk-rock/roots-rock/blues project with my dad and uncle, and it's on damned near EVERYTHING in those mixes.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I've always had this impression that the guys at/behind Slate are kind of dicks - weren't they the ones behind that YouTube fraudulent copyright protection claim, because they didn't like someone's review?

Anyway, if you're in the market for more plugins, the one I've been abusing the living fuck out of and running on almost everything is the Sonimus Burnley73 EQ. Loose Neve re-creation, very musical sounding EQ, and a great saturation plugin, to boot. I'm just wrapping up a folk-rock/roots-rock/blues project with my dad and uncle, and it's on damned near EVERYTHING in those mixes.
There was some big thing at NAMM a year or two ago, forget exactly what the issue was, would have to google it.

There is a slim chance I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they are dicks. Every picture you see of Steven Slate literally reeks of douchery. He is the most stereotypical "Silicon Valley Suave Tech Bro" looking dude ever. You can tell right off the bat from the haircut and the clothes and immaculately maintained 5 o'clock bro shadow.

He's like, the real life version of Russ Hanneman from Silicon Valley. I imagine this is exactly what he sounds like in real life.

He's one of those dudes where the very first picture I saw of him I was like, "This dude is definitely a major douche", because there were just so many douche flags. I could have been wrong, but I think the incident you are referring to is some kind of tantrum.

Seriously, if you go to his instagram.

He's probably sitting in his Hollywood Hills condo right now trying to seduce chicks on some phone app.

I imagine that 50% of his time is spent trying to seduce chicks on phone apps, and 50% is spent making business deals over 2 PM late lunches in trendy hollywood eateries where he throws around a bunch of meaningless tech bro jargon. Like,

"LET ME GET SOME OPTICS ON THIS AND I'LL GET BACK TO YOU, I'M THINKING WE MIGHT GO CLOUD BASED WITH THIS"

He might be a tech genius with actual credentials though, who knows. I felt bad about just putting him in the douche camp the first time I became aware of Steven Slate products, but I seem to recall there being one or two incidents confirming my instincts.

He just looks like a guy that hires wildly unqualified secretaries from modeling agencies in attempts to bang them. If you get hired to be Steven Slate's secretary you have 45 minutes in your face day on the job tops before he tries sexually propositioning you in increasingly overt ways.

I bet his office is some hideous ergonomic Apple White thing, with things to sit on that only vaguely resemble chairs.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
Steven Slate may or may not be a douche, but his plugins are fuckin' great so I don't care too much. Besides, if anything it's Fabrice Gabriel who is the wizard behind them. I hope they're paying him really well.

I think it was actually Joey Sturgis who did the copyright thing, though Slate could have as well. Sturgis got his ass raked over the coals for that, too.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steven Slate may or may not be a douche, but his plugins are fuckin' great so I don't care too much. Besides, if anything it's Fabrice Gabriel who is the wizard behind them. I hope they're paying him really well.
That's why I'm so salty about this whole thing, the plug-ins absolutely kill and he could totally have had my money on the everything bundle, but what are clearly non-addressed major issues wasted too much of my time to justify continuing.

Thanks man, I've seen you post about it a bunch of times so you've definitely viral marketed my brain into checking it out.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Thanks man, I've seen you post about it a bunch of times so you've definitely viral marketed my brain into checking it out.
:lol: Sorry man. It's too bad, it was on sale for $39 prior to Black Friday, but Black Friday was a site-wide 10% off any plugin (with bigger discounts if you buy multiples) so that changed to $54, rather than the regular $59.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have you contacted Slate support?
I'm on Cubase 10 and all my Slate plugins run without issues.
A new version has come out last week I think, not sure if you tried installing that one?
Otherwise I hope Slate support helps out, they've always been great to me!

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
A new version has come out last week I think, not sure if you tried installing that one?
if you work for slate, come out with it now and say so.

·
Registered
59 Posts
if you work for slate, come out with it now and say so.
Lol, no I don't.
I am a beta tester though but I do not work for Slate.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw hundreds of documented cases of the same issue online and decided that after two days of not being able to work, I didn't have any more time to waste on what is clearly a pretty fundamental bug. Funnily enough, I was looking at a Slate Facebook post this morning and marvelling at how many responses of 'Please Contact Slate Support' I could see as I scrolled down.

As I've said previously, I love Slate plug-ins and they could have easily had my money with the Black Friday deal but between this and the lack of exciting new features in SSD5, my enthusiasm is starting to wain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts