Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having never seen Slayer before and that this was their last hurrah, I headed down last night to check them out with Napalm Death, Testament, Anthrax, & Lamb of God. All in all, a really great show. I ended up with only one usable clip because my iPhone microphone is dying so here's Angel of Death which closed out the show:

Setlists for Napalm Death, https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/testament/2018/white-river-amphitheatre-auburn-wa-5be8cbb8.html, Anthrax, Lamb of God, and Slayer.

Napalm Death- Frankly a band I know of by name but not music & had no interest in. The crowd that was there (they were 1st and entering this place was a clusterfuck) wasn't all that into them either. Easily the WORST sound for any band that night. Just a wall of unintelligible sound and vocals. Their Dead Kennedys cover got the biggest response.

Testament- I mean, what can you really say? They still fucking kill after 30+ years. Only 8 or 9 song set so mostly a greatest hits run through.

Anthrax- My first time seeing them as well. Like Testament, they only had an 8 or 9 song set so it was mostly greatest hits but made up of a few deeper cuts. A cool tribute they did was that they started and ended their set playing Cowboys from Hell. Got a chuckle out of Scott Ian trying to rev the crowd up during the War Dance in Indians by telling everyone that "..Bush [the band] is playing TOMORROW!.."

Lamb of God- Truthfully, another band I know of but haven't been interested in because the vocals aren't my style. If the crowd weren't there to see Slayer, they were there to see Lamb of God. Crowd was really amped for them and I gotta admit that they were an impressively tight band. I probably liked the tracks from Ashes of the Wake the most.

Slayer- Great visuals and great sounding effort. A no bullshit 18 song run through their catalog. Tom sounded pretty good for the most part. His voice cracked once or twice and he seemed winded singing Season in the Abyss but I can understand that. There was almost zero banter between songs which felt a little weird. Kinda felt like Tom was an introvert. Maybe he truly is tired and crawling to the finish line.

All good things must come to an end and I think they're doing an admirable job on the way out. :metal:

Reactions: Iron1

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
No banter all jams is the way to do a set. A buddy of mine was there, somehow got a pic with KK.

Sad I missed this tour here as LOG, anthrax and Testament are worth price of admission.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Hell of a lineup. Was never a big Slayer fan, but I'm glad I got to see them live on one of the Ozzfest tours back when Hannemann was still alive. I can imagine how intense they must have been in their early years.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I've only seen Slayer once and that was back in 2006 (Lamb of God and Anthrax were playing that same show with them then too), and Tom didn't do any banter then either. I just assumed that they were the type of band that cut out all that banter bullshit (I personally have always preferred little to zero banter), but maybe I just happened to see them at a time that Tom didn't feel like talking between songs. :shrug:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Hell of a lineup. Was never a big Slayer fan, but I'm glad I got to see them live on one of the Ozzfest tours back when Hannemann was still alive. I can imagine how intense they must have been in their early years.
Got to see them three or four times back in the day. They were SO intense on the Reign In Blood tour - one of the best live performances I've ever seen. Saw Testament back then too, but they were a little overly polished - and back then Anthrax always seemed like they thought the whole thing was some inside joke, while Slayer was just raw, in your face, ugly, nasty metal.

Toot bad Napalm Death had sound issues - they used to be a giant sonic sledgehammer back in the day.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I saw the Denver show a on the 18th, at Fiddlers Green Amphitheater.

Napalm Death doesn't really translate well in a bit outdoor venue. I love this band and they are much better in a small club. Barney is just so fucking pissed off I love it.

Testament is Testament and Alex is an amazing player. I love Chucks air guitar.

Anthrax is a bit of a bore now adays. Their classics are always awesome but I could not identify some of their modern material if it was played for me. I'm glad they are able to tour and make a living so good for them.

Lamb of God is just so tight. I wish I had seen them long ago but I've only seen them play as grown ups. Love this band and they do not disappoint.

Slayer was awesome as usual. I was glad to see them this time around.

Overall I prefer small venues over big ones. Plus fuck a $100 ticket.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Having seen them back on Hell Awaits and Reign In Blood, I can tell you the RIB tour (with OverKill opening) was easily in the top five of most brutal shows I've attended. The Warner Theater was half-demolished (two rows of seats were missing) at the end of the show.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Having seen them back on Hell Awaits and Reign In Blood, I can tell you the RIB tour (with OverKill opening) was easily in the top five of most brutal shows I've attended. The Warner Theater was half-demolished (two rows of seats were missing) at the end of the show.
:agreed:

They Played City Limits in Pittsburgh which was an ice rink and their stage was only like 3 feet tall and easily accessible.
SO much stage diving. The security dudes were just shooting people back into the crowd.
Overkill was awesome and Lemmy bitched for like 5 min because he could find a place to get a bottle of Jack (had to go to a State Liquor Store)

·
Los Cochinos
994 Posts
I missed the Reign In Blood tour when it came through Houston with Slayer opening for WASP. The show was at the old Maceba Theater which closed shortly after the show, for years the story went that Slayer was so loud they cracked the foundation, forcing the Maceba to close lmfao It was on the South of Heaven tour I first saw them live - Overkill and Motorhead opened and it was at Club NRG. That show was just sick...after the concert we sat in the car for about twenty minutes before heading home, minds blown.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts