Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Small amp wanted that reacts well with pedals

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Reverend 7 Strings of Hate 
#1 ·
I've started building a small pedalboard recently and wanted a good, small (1x12) amp to go with it. I'd ideally like to keep it to a small combo. Something that behaves really well with pedals without colouring anything too much. I want it to cope with low volume levels (bedroom use) but that can also be dragged out for jams and practices and still keep up. I was looking at the new PRS Sonzera 20 that's getting some raves reviews. Any small tube amp would probably do the job but I know some react better than others.

Any other options/opinions?

#7 ·
Fender and Peavey are your two easiest options unless you're looking for something booteek.

Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues
Fender Blues Jr., Bassbreaker or Deluxe Reverb. Or a Super-Sonic 22, those are tons of fun.
Egnater Tweaker is a great little amp.

The Sonzera looks very nice, although I wouldn't want the V-Type speaker in the combo.

Try to keep it 20W and under.

#11 ·
Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I was thinking about something by Blackstar. They're easily available over here too, especially 'used' for little money. Laney would also fall into that category, so maybe a little LC15? I was also looking at maybe going down the small head+small cab route instead. So something like an Orange Dark Terror with a little 1x12 cab. There's so many options out there nowadays! I suppose I need to spend a couple of hours trying some out to get a better idea of what I'm after, something in specific might grab me.

Budget wise I'm okay spending a decent amount on something if the quality is there. The PRS Sonzera is still my number one choice and that's fairly mid-range I'd say price-wise. I don't want to spend much more than that though. I've noticed that some of the Bogner and Egnater stuff is fairly reasonable if you can find a good deal 'used' too.

#13 ·
Definitely​ compare something Voxy to something more Fendery too. There's a really fun difference in character with many pedals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.