Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm trying to work out what exists out there as a multieffects unit, that isn't a full pedalboard size, but has the option to be controlled via MIDI.

I've been searching around and so far drawing a bit of a blank. The only thing I've seen so far is the Line 6 M5, but they have a slightly annoying limitation of only being able to run 1 effect at once.

I'm mainly looking for time-based/modulation-based effects. I'm not much into compression on guitar, nor do I need this to do anything like distortion, wah etc. The ability to do intelligent harmonies would be a bonus, but not essential.

In terms of size, the M5 is about the right size, the maximum I'd be looking at would be something like the old Yamaha Magicstomp or the first Vox Tonelab. The POD beans are a little large for the task, but could be usable.

Anyone got any ideas? I won't say money is no object, but list anything you can think of and I can decide whether it'd be worth saving for. Also I am not bothered if its something that came out this year or a 2 decades ago, as long as it'll do the job.

·
Banned
220 Posts
After owning a boss unit for one day I can comfortably say, they produce the worst guitar related tones I've ever heard. Get a digitech RP or HD300.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you've missed the point entirely. This isn't going to be used for anything other than modulation and time based (maybe pitch) effects, and it needs to fit on a pedalboard.

I already own a HD500 for my main live rig with the Invader, this is to be a rig for the Peavey Ultra incorporating all the other pedals I've got. A good small (very small) multi effects to cover what I don't have pedal wise is what I'm looking for

·
Banned
220 Posts
I think you've missed the point entirely. This isn't going to be used for anything other than modulation and time based (maybe pitch) effects, and it needs to fit on a pedalboard.

I already own a HD500 for my main live rig with the Invader, this is to be a rig for the Peavey Ultra incorporating all the other pedals I've got. A good small (very small) multi effects to cover what I don't have pedal wise is what I'm looking for
In that case a line 6 M13 would be perfect, not sure if it has pitch effects though, my boss GT-100 didn't have any decent sounding effects tbh. Didn't see anything for pitch shifting either.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (like MAGIC!)

Why not pick up a MagicStomp? Though I don't remember if those have midi or not. I know the older DG-Stomp did, but they're quite big.

The Line6 M9 might be a good fit. I can't think of anything as small as the M5 that has decent modulation and delay effects, though a lot of high-end delay effects often have modulation sections as well.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah my first thought was a Magicstomp but they aren't MIDI capable, otherwise that would have been perfect :(

The M9 does look good but potentially still too big. I could make do with the M5 but it would be nice to use say, phaser and delay, harmony and delay, reverb and chorus, rather than just one effect.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking things like Strymon and Eventide, they could potentially do it but Strymon don't appear to have anything that isn't one type of effect.

There are also the Damage Control ones now that I think about it

http://damagecontrolusa.com/products/glass-nexus/

That may do it, don't suppose anyone knows of anything else?

As for Boss, I've used some of their stuff before, even briefly played a VF1 years ago and didn't hate it. Plus I know that Mr D Townsend has a penchant for a certain one, and I ain't gonna argue with his results as that'd not be a million miles away from my aims anyway.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I presume you already have some modulation pedals?>

have a look at the G-Lab GSC they do a few versions but it will arrange your pedals into a preset/patch based system, change the channel on your amp and has midi.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I presume you already have some modulation pedals?>

have a look at the G-Lab GSC they do a few versions but it will arrange your pedals into a preset/patch based system, change the channel on your amp and has midi.
You were reading my mind, as the GSC is what I'm basing this around. I don't have any modulation pedals as I've always used the G Major or now the HD500.

I've worked out I have two loops left to use on a GSC2 in my plan, and I could just get a delay and phaser and call it a day. However I do like dicking about with Chorus, Reverb and Harmonies sometimes, and it'd also leave a loop free for my wah so I could have it always on rather than toe-switching it after already changing to a lead patch.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
You were reading my mind, as the GSC is what I'm basing this around. I don't have any modulation pedals as I've always used the G Major or now the HD500.

I've worked out I have two loops left to use on a GSC2 in my plan, and I could just get a delay and phaser and call it a day. However I do like dicking about with Chorus, Reverb and Harmonies sometimes, and it'd also leave a loop free for my wah so I could have it always on rather than toe-switching it after already changing to a lead patch.
I was going to grab one until i got the g maj.

get building some pedals! That is if you have the time and/or patience.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the problem would be building something that has about 3 or 4 different modulation effects, delay, reverb and midi controllable. It's possible but knowing me it'd take years to finally finish it...

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So it turns out that the G Lab stuff has a 4 loop extension, midi controllable and available for a whisker over £100. I think that plus individual effects may be the way to go instead, that way I can choose which is best individually.

·
getting schwifty
1,285 Posts
the thread title instantly reminded me of this:

this thing seems pretty small, about half a rack unit.
it seems to have programmability and is midi capable.
was looking for one a while back when i was putting my
first rig togeather, but i couldn't find one.

it probably sounds like shit compared to what's out today
and you may have a tough time finding one out in the wild.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
So it turns out that the G Lab stuff has a 4 loop extension, midi controllable and available for a whisker over £100. I think that plus individual effects may be the way to go instead, that way I can choose which is best individually.
I didnt mean to build the switcher! i just meant to build the pedals to go with the switcher.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didnt mean to build the switcher! i just meant to build the pedals to go with the switcher.
Yeah I know, but the reason I was thinking of multi effects was because of only having 2 loops left to play with, and wanting about 4+ different types of effects potentially (Delay, Phaser, Chorus, Verb). However if I can add 4 more loops instead, I can get one of each type, and then also make use of my Whammy, and my Big Muff too.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Yeah I know, but the reason I was thinking of multi effects was because of only having 2 loops left to play with, and wanting about 4+ different types of effects potentially (Delay, Phaser, Chorus, Verb). However if I can add 4 more loops instead, I can get one of each type, and then also make use of my Whammy, and my Big Muff too.
Hmm have you looked at the G lab extension loop? or one of the bigger loopers? maybe the GSC5?

I would add the extension loop and have it next to your amp. That way you can have stuff on your board with effects in front of the amp such as boosts etc. And all your other stuff in the loop,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts